Thoughts and recommendations on UV sterilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I've been dealing with an algae bloom for the last couple weeks and can't seem to get it knocked out. The problem seemed to begin when I first began adding plants even though I gave them a h2o2 bath. I'm blaming the Aqueon Plant food I used a couple times, but the pwc's should have removed the excess nutrients by now. I also do not overfeed the fish. I think I'm out of options and it's time to pick up a UV steralizer. Here's my background info and the things I've tried-

48 Gallon Bow Front- Freshwater
Fully (fishless) cycled
Ammo-0, NitrIte-0 and nitrAtes-5-10
Stocked ~ 80% full (Danios, Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Otos, RCS, Amano Shrimp and a Bolivian Ram)
Fluval 405 with ceramic media, carbon, polishing pads and stock mechanical filtration
Duel T-5 HO 39 watt bulbs...One "Ultra Sun" and one actinic (approx. 7-8 hrs daily photo time)
Planted with Water Sprite, Vals, Java Moss and Rotala Rotundifolia
The tank gets no direct sunlight

I've tried
Daily 20% pwc's (helps clear it, but returns)
Kept hood lights off for 4 days
4 day black out (was still cloudy but less green tint...green returned however)
Seachem Clarity (flocculent)- didn't help
Added a phosphate absorbing pad to the Fluval

Have you used UV before? Any experience with it solving green water problems? Any particular one you'd recommend that wont break the bank for a 48 gallon tank?

I'm only a few days into using (testing) my UV unit and it seems to be having an impact on the BA I have in my GSP tank.

I picked up the Green killing machine, for a couple reasons. It's a in-tank unit that's not tied to any other system (so I can use it in any of my tanks) and because it sets the flow of water passing over the UV bulb, there's no issue of under exposure to the water column passing thru it. They claim "powerhead" on the package which is kinda misleading since the flow is minimal, but other than that, it seems to be doing the job.

It sells as a green water scrubber.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm only a few days into using (testing) my UV unit and it seems to be having an impact on the BA I have in my GSP tank.

I picked up the Green killing machine, for a couple reason. It's a in-tank unit that's not tied to any other system (so I can use it in any of my tanks) and because it sets the flow of water passing over the UV bulb, there's no issue of under exposure to the water column passing thru it. They claim "powerhead" on the package which is kinda misleading since the flow is minimal, but other than that, it seems to be doing the job.

It sells as a green water scrubber.

Yeah, I'm also getting a little confused on the types. I'm seeing online ones that would connect with my Fluval, but that thing pumps out so much water I'm not sure the water would have exposure time. I see others for cheap, but the fine print says pump not included. Is the one you're talking about kind of like a HOB? That's the one I'm leaning towards right now. It's only running about $40.

Yeah, I'm also getting a little confused on the types. I'm seeing online ones that would connect with my Fluval, but that thing pumps out so much water I'm not sure the water would have exposure time. I see others for cheap, but the fine print says pump not included. Is the one you're talking about kind of like a HOB? That's the one I'm leaning towards right now. It's only running about $40.

It's a 9watt and kind of a HOB unit that cost $50 at Petco, Amazon wanted $48.

Yep, that's one reason I stayed away from a UV that would go in-line with my 305 can. If the water doesn't spend enough time exposed to the UV light, it doesn't really have time to do the job correctly. With the flow of my 305 on a 29g tank, It'd be worthless to put an in-line unit on IMO.

Here's a link with info:

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Mr. Limpet said:
It's a 9watt and kind of a HOB unit that cost $50 at Petco, Amazon wanted $48.

Yep, that's one reason I stayed away from a UV that would go in-line with my 305 can. If the water doesn't spend enough time exposed to the UV light, it doesn't really have time to do the job correctly. With the flow of my 305 on a 29g tank, It'd be worthless to put an in-line unit on IMO.

Here's a link with info:

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

That thing may be showing up on my bank statement in a matter of minutes. Thanks man.

I have one of those. Its sort of like a box filter whith a UV inside. I like them because they can can go from tank to tank. Never really used it for algae though. I put a fish in once that ended up with ick. I added the UV and it seemed to fix it without all the scary chemicals.

Pecktec said:
I have one of those. Its sort of like a box filter whith a UV inside. I like them because they can can go from tank to tank. Never really used it for algae though. I put a fish in once that ended up with ick. I added the UV and it seemed to fix it without all the scary chemicals.

+1

That's an excellent idea/point since the worst part if ick (per se) is when they're water borne and looking for a host. I'll keep that in my bag of tricks ;).

Thanks!

eco23 said:
That thing may be showing up on my bank statement in a matter of minutes. Thanks man.

Let us know your results/thoughs on how it does in that tool thread please.

Mr. Limpet said:
+1

That's an excellent idea/point since the worst part if ick (per se) is when they're water borne and looking for a host. I'll keep that in my bag of tricks ;).

Thanks!

Let us know your results/thoughs on how it does in that tool thread please.

Happily :). I had a little trick I wanted to add to the thread anyway, but for the life of me I can't remember what I was gonna post. Guess the trick wasn't that great if I can't remember it, haha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom