Thread hair algae. Boo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok,since this is my first planted tank after a month I have encountered my first algae outbreak. It is for sure thread algae. I have done my research on it, but need some trusted advice from you guys obviously. There are so many approaches to conquering algae in general but need to know from experienced people of course. :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had an issue with this growing in my Hornwort at the top of the tank (the bottom of the tank was too dim). The only way I got rid of it was removing the Hornwort for a month. It hasn't come back since.

Not knowing the specifics of your situation, I'd suggest minimizing the light for a few weeks.

I had an issue with this growing in my Hornwort at the top of the tank (the bottom of the tank was too dim). The only way I got rid of it was removing the Hornwort for a month. It hasn't come back since.

Not knowing the specifics of your situation, I'd suggest minimizing the light for a few weeks.

55g FW column style planted tank that has been established for 2 years.
6 panda corydora
2 honey gourami
4 otocinclus
1 keyhole cichlid
4 angelicus botia
water sprite
anubias nana
anacharius
Nitrates -20
Nitrites -0
Ammonia -0

Just need a little more info;

What sort of lighting do you have?
How long are your lights on per day?
Any natural sun light?
Any ferts, co2, or liquid carbon?
How tall is your tank?
Do you have a picture of the algae and where it is occurring?

Just need a little more info;

What sort of lighting do you have?
How long are your lights on per day?
Any natural sun light?
Any ferts, co2, or liquid carbon?
How tall is your tank?
Do you have a picture of the algae and where it is occurring?

1 aquatop 24" led
1 fluval 24" full spectrum led
No natural sunlight
Lights on 8 hrs/day
Tank is 24" tall
Florish comprehensive 1x/week
Liquid carbon every other day
Algae growing on tops of plants
Sorry no pic - lights are currently off

Has no one had algae on this site?

Everyone has had algae!
Stick a break in the middle of the light cycle, 4on 1off 4on.
I read somewhere that this disrupts algae cell production.
Also, things like Anubis are slow growing! If the light is too strong the algae will take hold before the leaves grow, it's typical for Anubis leaves to get thread algae on them.
At least in my experience!

Nitrates/phosphates are primary cause for thread algae. Do an extra water change each week and slightly reduce ferts.

Anubis will almost grow fine with almost no light on the tank, really they need very little amounts, and not very bright either.
I have Anubis growing with light borrowed from adjacent tanks. Maybe reduce photoperiod by 30mins at each end of the day (-1hour) with an hour off in the middle.

Wait a few weeks! See how it's going, if it looks like it's reducing, be very patient and it will disappear ALMOST completely.

It will take a while to dial in exactly what you need for your system, every system is different.

Good luck!

Everyone has had algae!
Stick a break in the middle of the light cycle, 4on 1off 4on.
I read somewhere that this disrupts algae cell production.
Also, things like Anubis are slow growing! If the light is too strong the algae will take hold before the leaves grow, it's typical for Anubis leaves to get thread algae on them.
At least in my experience!

Nitrates/phosphates are primary cause for thread algae. Do an extra water change each week and slightly reduce ferts.

Anubis will almost grow fine with almost no light on the tank, really they need very little amounts, and not very bright either.
I have Anubis growing with light borrowed from adjacent tanks. Maybe reduce photoperiod by 30mins at each end of the day (-1hour) with an hour off in the middle.

Wait a few weeks! See how it's going, if it looks like it's reducing, be very patient and it will disappear ALMOST completely.

It will take a while to dial in exactly what you need for your system, every system is different.

Good luck!

Thanks! Didn't mean to come off so brash:). Just didn't get as many responses to my post as I thought I would. This is the first time I have ever had an algae issue and a planted tank. I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem. It's hard to rely on the Internet when you can get personal experiences and reliable advice !

Many members who use liquid carbon say it must be used everyday?
These same members say the fluctuation of use can lead to...algae?
Some algae can be killed with H2O2 and the liquid carbon in a one two punch....
But you must inject it to the area in need ,with a syringe or turkey baster.
Less light or the break in light should help,but as mentioned be patient and keep an eye on it so you can see what works for you.

Don't worry about being brash! (If you were)

IT WAS AN EMERGENCY!
Really I'm surprised you have so few answers! Normally threads are bulging, I'm sure some people will add more info!

(Don't forget it is now sunny outside!;))

Hi Stacey.
I had hair algae growing off my moss, which itself was on the top of some bog wood, so very near to the lights. I removed as much as possible by winding it round a rough stick and pulling it away. Then I treated it with Excel (Glut), primarily a source of carbon but which also contains an algaecide. Turn off the filters and air stones, allow a few minutes for the water movement to settle and squirt the Excel (Glut) slowly at the hair grass, I use a small pipette. Allow it to remain there for about 5 minutes and then turn on the filters and air stones. Don't exceed the max dosage of Excel (Glut) for the whole tank. The concentration around the hair algae will be high for those few minutes and allow it to do its job. Repeat daily. The algae successfully treated will turn red and dissolve away. Sometimes you can only do a patch at a time, depending on the spread of the algae. Be vigilant and if it returns nip it in the bud. If you have a well planted tank then daily doses of Excel (Glut) will be a beneficial carbon source for your plants and also keep the algae at bay. This has been my experience. I didn't reduce lighting because I wanted to encourage plant growth but I have seen many posts that suggest that route. Now my plants are so healthy they seem to starve the algae out. It is a delicate balance of stocking levels, water changes, light, heat, carbon (or Co2) and liquid fertiliser that achieves this and will be different for every tank as all tanks differ. To some extent long term trial and error and experience will lead to this healthy balance.
Best of luck. Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom