Tiger barb acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfran

Aquarium Advice Activist
My albino tiger barb is breathing rapidly while just drifting at the bottle of my tank next to the heater. What is up with him? He wouldn't really respond to anything, barely responds to other fish.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453501290.260272.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

knowing a little about your tank can help
parameters how old is the tank
are these fish new how were they acclimated ect
are there any signs of ick

Last I checked the parameters were normal but I ran out of my testing material and need to buy more. Just performed a PWC a couple of days ago. All other fish normal. Tank is over 2 years old. No signs of ich. He is new to the tank (about a week) along with some other of his kind that have been fine.

His belly seems slightly bulged... Constipation? But no swim bladder issue... Unless being at the bottom is a swim bladder thing.

I change my mind about the belly... It actually looks fine. I put in an air stone to get more oxygen into the tank.

He is still moving very little. He is in a breeder net now just so the current doesn't just drag him around and him use all his energy fighting it.

With out a test kit you are basically blind.Well besides what the fish can tell you ,combined with BASIC knowledge.
One fish is telling you something is up...
You say ;He is new to the tank (about a week) along with some other of his kind that have been fine.
How many did you add?
Change water since you don't have a kit.
You added to you filter load along with stocking so you need to help the BB grow.
TB are mean(MEAN) fish ...How big is your tank and how many TB?
Change water !

The little dude bit it this morning... (*"taps" playing in the background*)

First... I know... I know!!!... I need a test kit. The 24 inch deep of snow outside (I live near DC) is preventing me from going to the store.

Second... I added three tiger barbs and five firemouths while simultaneously removing the three kenyi I had in there (I changed to SA tank) so the net result is three added barbs and two added cichlids. Maybe that was too much? Oh by the way the tank is a 40 gallon with 300 gph filtering at around 80 Fahrenheit.

Third... Thankfully he was within the warranty of my LFS. So I can go get a new one. Everyone else is as chipper as can be, so I don't know what happened to little dude there. Just strange. And no he wasn't being bullied.

Back
Top Bottom