Tiger Barb Holding Eggs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll keep researching it and I will deff try the peas then worry about eggs if nothing works. But I just realized that I have been putting a piece of cucumber in the tank everyday for a week or so cause my crawfish is eating all my plants. Do tiger barbs eat this also?

I don't know if it matters or not but I have 6 tiger barbs and the only one this is happening to is one of the two grown tiger barbs. I'm not sure when they reach sexul maturity but I'm sure it's constipated

. Does anyone know what I can do to encourage her to lay her eggs

A dense planted area. Preferably middle to top level plants. The thicker the vegetation, the safer the bearer feels, and the more protection the newly hatched fry will have.

I'm starting to notice other tiger barbs are looking fat with a black spot on one or two

Idk if it matters or not but I also had a case of ick in my tank not that Long ago idk if that would contribute to something else

Do you know your levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates yet?

Ick can still enter the system if you didn't wipe it out completely, which might be the case. How did you treat the ick before?

Nitrite are 0 ppm ammonia is just about 0 and nitrates are kind of high maybe 50 or 60 ppm and I used super ick cure by API

Bates1990 said:
Nitrite are 0 ppm ammonia is just about 0 and nitrates are kind of high maybe 50 or 60 ppm and I used super ick cure by API

Ok by that your nitrates are too high. You need to keep them below 20ppm. The lower the better. Immediate large PWC to bring them down. Poor water quality lead to stress and disease.

Is that the only way? I do 10 gallons of purified water every two weeks and the nitrates seem to still come back up I've been using prime also but I'm not sure how many times I should use it

Bates1990 said:
Is that the only way? I do 10 gallons of purified water every two weeks and the nitrates seem to still come back up I've been using prime also but I'm not sure how many times I should use it

Yes plants will help out but the only way to remove nitrates is through water changes. They will keep building up until you remove and replace some water then it will start again.
Why are you using purified water? As in RO/DI? It doesn't contain any buffers/minerals. Just use your tap water and prime. Dosing prime to a tank isn't going to make the nitrates disappear.

You need to be changing at least 25-30% of your water weekly. More if your nitrates don't stay low enough.

I have a 55 gallon tank and I change 10 gallons every two weeks but I will start doing it every week. And the reason I use purified water is because I live in the country and my water is poor quality what about spring water or do you think I should use tap water anyways? Also I use prime to just detox nitrates for a day or two is this correct?

Bates1990 said:
I have a 55 gallon tank and I change 10 gallons every two weeks but I will start doing it every week. And the reason I use purified water is because I live in the country and my water is poor quality what about spring water or do you think I should use tap water anyways? Also I use prime to just detox nitrates for a day or two is this correct?

Try doing 20gal every week. :)
Spring water would work. It's still contains minerals. I don't know about your tap water. Do you know why its classed poor quality? Prime will bind any heavy metals and neutralize any chlorine or chloramine it may have. it should be fine to use. The best thing to do is a water change to remove nitrates. Dosing prime supposedly works but by doing that your not really removing them your just adding unnecessarily high amounts of prime. Doing water changes is an essential for tanks. Not only does it remove nitrate build up but dissolved solids (fish poop) and replenishes minerals needed for fish and plants.

Ok thank you very much I didn't know all that but also do I need to suck from bottom of tank also my water has a lot of additives cause it comes from so far away

Bates1990 said:
Ok thank you very much I didn't know all that but also do I need to suck from bottom of tank also my water has a lot of additives cause it comes from so far away

The prime should take care of all the chemicals in your tap water. Do you have a gravel vac? Use that to suck gunk from your gravel/sand on the bottom of you tank. Too much contributes to nitrate build up.

Ok I really do appreciate your help and also are you supposed to replace the bio wheel after ick treatment because I know your supposed to remove carbon filters and continue airation but idk about the wheel

I forgot to tell you that I got the whole peas that you have to snap and I crushed the peas up and put them in my tank how long till I should feed them cause today's the third day they haven't been fed

Back
Top Bottom