Tiger Barb Success Stories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has had any success with Tiger Barbs. I always hear about how aggressive they are and how they ruin a peaceful tank.

Specifically, I'm theoretically stocking a future 75 gal tank. I'm thinking about an Asian theme, with plenty of plants and a good stock of fish. So what I'm thinking is about 20 Tiger Barbs, 15-20 Zebra Danios, and maybe some sort of small loaches to take care of the bottom.

Just wondering if this is a possibility or a pipe dream.

That would be one active tank! Probably work out just fine actually. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A shoal of Cherry Barbs would also coexist with Tigers. That might also be a nice opportunity to do Clown Loaches, if you're willing to re-house them years from now when they get really big. If not, Yo-yos might work.

Brookster,

I love watching the fish swim around. High activity a-ok with me!

PWN,

Would you do the Cherry Barbs rather than Danios? Those are also a fish I am very interested in. As far as Clown Loaches, that might be an interesting prospect. I'd have to see if the LFS would do a trade of some sort.

Personally, I'd do Cherry Barbs rather than Zebra Danios. As Brookster noted, Tigers are already very active, as are many species of loaches. My opinion is that if you threw Zebra Danios into the mix, the tank would be downright hyperactive. But that's just my opinion.

Clown Loaches grow pretty slowly, so you wouldn't be in much of a rush to re-house them.

I'm one that had a peaceful tank turned upside-down by Green Tiger Barbs. LOL. They were beautiful, just not right for my tank. But anyway, the one group of fish they never bothered were my Zebra Danios. So take that for what it's worth. That would indeed be a crazy active tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm one that had a peaceful tank turned upside-down by Green Tiger Barbs. LOL. They were beautiful, just not right for my tank. But anyway, the one group of fish they never bothered were my Zebra Danios. So take that for what it's worth. That would indeed be a crazy active tank.

It'd be like a hockey team fighting a football team hahah..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, so I'll think about swapping Cherry Barbs with Zebra Danios. Cherry Barbs typically hang out in the middle third of the tank, correct? I think the reason I though Zebras would be a good fit was due to their tendency (at least in my experience) to hang out in the upper third of the tank.

Ok, so I'll think about swapping Cherry Barbs with Zebra Danios. Cherry Barbs typically hang out in the middle third of the tank, correct? I think the reason I though Zebras would be a good fit was due to their tendency (at least in my experience) to hang out in the upper third of the tank.

You are correct about both. Your tank would certainly have room for tigers, cherry barbs and zebra danios, so it not a this or that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom