Tiger barb top-level tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75g tank with a school of 15 tiger barbs (more to come soon) and one rainbow shark. Since the tigers tend to stay in the middle to lower part of the tank, I've been looking for top-dwelling tankmates.

I would like the tigers to remain the focus of the tank. It appears that most top-dwellers are schooling fish, and I don't want to add too many more fish.

I would also like something that contrasts nicely with the barbs.

About the only thing I can think of is a blue gourami, and hope that the tigers leave it alone. I also saw some Madagascar rainbowfish that caught my eye, and I'm considering a small school (5).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I would probably vote against gettings rainbows. A bit too passive for the tigers. A gourami seems it would be a good option.

i have a paradise (extremely nasty) gourami in my 55g with tiger barbs. the barbs did try to nip the poor gal, but she stood up to them. currently the tigers (11) are busy infighting, and leave the other fish alone.
i tried celebes rainbows (with longer fins) and they didn't even last a day. i had to pull them out as the barbs went into a shredding frenzy.
they also managed to stress out some orange chromides i had there. so, i'd be eagerly awaiting the posts on this topic too. i'd guess danios would be good choice, but i'm not a big fan. another regular choice would be hatchets. but they are hard to come by here, and are big jumpers (i have a gaping hole in my glass top). gouramis might be good choices, but if the tigers put their mind to it, they can wreck some serious havoc.

How about rasboras? They mostly stay near the top and middle strata. Many species are colorful, but won't distract from the tiger barbs. Neither family of fish pays much attention to the other. Harlequin rasboras stay small (1.5 in). Brilliant rasboras grow a bit larger (2.5 in).

I wouldn't try hatchets with tiger barbs. Hatchets are really pretty delicate fish and are easily stressed. They are sensitive even in a peaceful tank and IMO tiger barbs are so active that they would stress hatchets to the point of death, even if there was no real aggression. I do agree that zebra danios would be a great choice. I'm not sure about the gourami, as a slow swimmer I think the barbs may pick on one, but I don't have much experience with gouramis so I can't say for sure. I've kept many tiger barbs in the past as dithers for my cichlids. I know you are looking for a strictly top-dwelling fish, but have you considered that option? There are lots of South/Central American cichlids that are excellent tankmates in a semi-aggressive tank like yours, and then you wouldn't need to concern yourself with adding another school of fish. My tiger barbs did great with a severum, firemouth, and convict. Out of those 3, the severum stays near the top more than the other cichlids. They are very personable fish and will come to greet you (and beg for food) as you approach the tank.

I LOVE severums...one of my favorite fish! I have considered that option, but I have live plants and I've read that they would tear them up. They have cost me a lot of $ and don't want to risk everything getting torn to shreds! In term of cichlids, I'm considering a kribensis - but obviously not a top-dweller.

I'll look into rasboras, though I'd prefer not to have to add another school.

:( Aw, man... I hate to say it but you're totally right. I didn't realize your tank was planted or I wouldn't have suggested a severum. Mine won't even leave java fern or anubias alone, I've tried.... twice. :roll: Your tank will look like a salad bar if you add one. :lol:

I housed 15 tigers with 2 (ended up both male) kribs and didn't have any issues. But like you said, not really top-dwelling. I also had a florida flag fish with them. Very colorful, and swims at all levels.

good point SM. i completely forgot about the peaceful nature of the hatchets. i'm currently keeping flagfish with the barbs, but they seem to be a bit harassed by the constant activity of the barbs.
unfortunately, my rasboras tend to stay in the middle of the tank always, putting them in the same strata as the barbs.
a radical approach would be adding ps. acei, a top-dwelling peaceful mbuna, that wouldn't come in contact with the rainbow, and probably would be ok with the barbs. i know tiger barbs are used as dithers for some cichlids, but probably not for more boisterous mbuna.

I have tiger barbs and rainbows and they totally leave each other alone. The rainbows are darn fast and although they don't bother anyone else they also don't mind being pestered a little. They'll just swim away and I guarantee they can out-swim a tiger barb. Mine are turquoise rainbows, BTW, but any of the larger 'bow species, such as boesemanis, trifasciatas or even the "Australian" rainbows commonly seen in the LFS should be fine.

Just another vote for the danios...and they don't have to be zebra ones either...there's leopard ones and I saw quite cool purple ones at the LFS the other day, not to mention if you want more color...the genetically engineered glo-fish! :)

zebra danios work great, the tiger barbs never bothe rthem, they are colorful, energetic and best of all cheap lol

Well, I've never been a big fan of danios, but I will give them another look next time I visit my LFS. Leopard danios look nice in the pictures I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom