Tiger barbs and dwarf flame gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience keeping them together. It would be a 55 gal tank with 6 tigers 2 DF gouramis 7 gold long finned danios and a BN pleco.

Right now I only have the danios and tigers and they are good together. I will be adding the BN pleco on thursday. I know I want to add another type of fish to round off the tank and was thinking of blue gouramis but I like the look of the dwarf flames better. But looks aside I want my tank mates to get along, that is most important to me. So if you don't think the tigers and DF gouramis will be happy together I'll go for the blue.

I've heard barbs arefin nippers.but I would wait for someone wiu experience to chime in

You are right about that, but I think the gouramis are tough enough to hold their own, but if I only get two males I'm hoping they won't be the Bullies of the tank because there would be no female to fight over.

Tiger barbs are really nippy and may harass the DGs. I haven't tried keeping them together, but just based on my experiences with tiger barbs it is not a combo I would want to try.

If you are interested in gouramis, IMO one of the variants of Trichogaster trichopterus might be a better option. They get larger than DG and are more likely to hold their own against the barbs. They're very nice looking and would do well in a 55.

I have kept them together for a few weeks. The tiger barbs did not touch the DG because I had about 9 of them. But tiger barbs shouldn't be kept with fish with large fins and frilly tails.

Keep in mind that a few weeks does not equal long-term success when we are talking about fish that live for years. ;)

severum mama said:
Keep in mind that a few weeks does not equal long-term success when we are talking about fish that live for years. ;)

True. I think I will pass on the DF for now. I have also been hearing bad things about weak breeding. So I'll come up with something else. One great thing about fish keeping, you can take your time with most things, perfect for and indecisive person like me.

the only gourami I would put with the Tiger Barbs is the 3-spot gourami varieties (blue, gold, opaline)

Back
Top Bottom