Tiger Barbs ate my new shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am mainly looking for a good bottom feeder, I can brush the algea. I have been reading about Corys. It looks like the Bronze Cory only gets about 3". I want it to be about 3"-4" adult size range.

tiger barbs are an aggressive fish...they'll fin nip bigger fish and swarm smaller fish/shrimp...they are best kept in really large groups or with bigger fish that won't tolerate there shinanigans

Dojo loaches are colder water fish than the Barbs and gourami.

I see a lot of people like Corys, do they also require a group to be happy? I will be making a trip to the LFS today to see what they have, then come home and do some research.

I really appreciate all the input. Coming from a 20 gallon gold fish tank years ago to a 5 gallon hex with 4 danios and the 3 barbs to a 90 gallon makes for a big learning curve and a ton more choices.

Here is a pic for your viewing pleasure. **All decor is fake**

90.JPG

yes they are schooling fish. most people say 3 min for each sp but i think 6 or more is better.

Okay, went to the LFS to look and see what they have for loaches and corys. Well, they have clown loaches, albino corys and panda corys. After some looking around, I am thinking about adding 3 or 4 panda corys.

The one site I looked at on the pandas said they are peaceful and get about 1.5", which I like.

what are your guy's thoughts?

I like your choice. Pandas are very cool fish, but a bit more sensitive than the albinos (probably aeneus) IME.

STALKER!!!!!! :uhoh: :D

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, looks like I will be going to the LFS and getting some new fish.

I found this on anouther site:

But there is one problem about them; They need much air and if they don’t get enough of it, they will swim to the surface permanently.

I have an 18" bubble wand on the back of the tank, will this be enough? I have been looking at getting a 150-175 gph power head to add some flow on the side of the tank without the filter, will this disturb them?

A friend is giving me a Penguin 660 power head NIB. He bought it and decided it was to small for his tank. It is 170 gph, which is in the range of what I wanted.

SO, is this going to be bad for the Panda Corys I was looking at buying?

I found this on anouther site:

I have an 18" bubble wand on the back of the tank, will this be enough? I have been looking at getting a 150-175 gph power head to add some flow on the side of the tank without the filter, will this disturb them?

A friend is giving me a Penguin 660 power head NIB. He bought it and decided it was to small for his tank. It is 170 gph, which is in the range of what I wanted.

SO, is this going to be bad for the Panda Corys I was looking at buying?

That quote is incorrect. They need disolved O2 just like any other fish. Cories by nature do frequently "launch" to the surface and gulp air. That is a nataural adaptation developed because of living in often stagnant water. It's part of their charm to me. :)

The powerhead will add flow which won't hurt, but it won't really do anything to aerate the water unless it is aimed to break the surface. Your HOB filter should provide all the aeration needed, the bubblewand won't hurt, but is more an asthetic choice.

Cool, I wanted the power head to add flow to the right side of the tank as the filter is on the left.

Okay, anouther question. I know, I know, I have a ton of them. I know they say to add 2-3 fish at one time to the tank but can I add 6 Pandas or should I just do 3. My LFS has buy 2 get 1 free every Tuesday so I was thinking about getting 6 on Tuesday. Will that throw my tank into anouther mini cycle?

You could add 6 of the pandas. They are very low bioload. Just test your water and make sure it doesn't go into a mini-cycle. If it does, it should be short lived and only require a few extra water changes to get through.

Sincerely,

The Stalker. ;)

Back
Top Bottom