Tiger Barbs & Cichlids ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SavnLife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Am very new to the aquarium world. Presently have a 46 gallon Bow Front with 6 Tiger Barbs, tank has been running 3 weeks and starting to cycle. Decorated with African Driftwood, fake plants and rocks with caves. Thinking about the next fish to add when the cycle is complete and am very attracted to the Electric Yellow Lab Cichlid and the the Electric Blue African Cichlid.

I have tap water PH of 7.8 do not know the "hardness" yet...

Will these "live in harmony" ??

How many of each Cichlid could/should I add??

I also need "tank cleaners" to fit in this equation... any suggestions??

Thanks all !!!!

Welcome to AqauriumAdvice, SavnLife!

Bad idea--those cichlids need to live amongst their own. The key to owning cichlids is RESEARCH! The cichlids you are looking at are beautiful and semi-aggressive. They are Mbuna cichlids that need fish that will stand up to them. This link will give you a good, basic idea of the needs of each fish: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=21&pcatid=830 . You can click on the African cichlids and the Barbs to get an idea of ideal tank mates. If you have your heart set on cichlids--look into dwarf cichlids. I have two Bolivian rams in my 50 gal community tank. However, get all your tests in before deciding on the dwarf cichlids--they like soft, neutral water. The driftwood you have will bring the softness of the water down over time.
IMO, you are on your way to a great community tank. Tank cleaners for a 46 gal could include Rubber Lipped or Bristlenose plecos, cory cats or yo-yo loaches. I'm not sure what you want them to "clean", so you will need to research each one to see if it fits your needs and the water parameters of your tank.
OR
You could go the other way with this tank and do a Mbuna cichlid tank. The barbs would have to go, but you would have a tank similar to my 80 gal Mbuna tank (except I would toss the wood and go for MORE caves). Ideal tank "cleaners" in that case would be African Catfish of the genus Synodontis--they would eat leftover food. Here is another good link: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/species_index --under Lake Malawi there are the Mbuna cichlids.
You have lots to read—good luck and if you would like more help, like me know!

BTW--those cichlids will dig up your plants, if you go with Mbuna, take out the plants!

I have seen tiger barbs and convict together with no obvious conflict or casulties...but that doesn't sound like the "look" you want. In fact the tank I got my clowns from had tigers and convicts too. I had to look for my loaches to pick them put. It looked cute in that 55 gallon. I don't know how it would translate to smaller space. prolly not well.

But as mentioned to you ..It's general info that most cichlids are gnarly little boogers and quite a few have incompatible pH requirements.

I wouldn't put those types of Cichlids in with Tiger Barbs, it's just asking for trouble IMO.

Very very bad idea. Plain and simple Electric Blue Haps (Sciaenochromis ahli) look at a fish like Tiger Barbs as a food source. You can make 'some' Cichlids work with barbs, but generally it isnt a good idea. Your best bet would be mid sized, moderately aggressive Cichlids, such as Blue Acara, Green Severums, Jewel Cichlids, Firemouths, etc. Success with those species, or other similar ones isnt guaranteed, but about your best chance, and they wouldnt be too hard to find a happy medium, as far as pH goes for those fish. Also, if you do attempt it, don't get breeding pairs of any of them, they'll see the Tigers as a threat to their eggs, and young, should they spawn, and will do everything that they have to, to eliminate that threat. Personally, I think you should look around at some other types of fish for your new tank's community.

Back
Top Bottom