Tiger Barbs dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon aquarium.

I originally had 7 tiger barbs, however, the number is now three.

I lost my first barb about three days after I got them. Before he died, he laid near the bottom, breathed heavily, and refused to eat. When he did die, I originally thought it was a swim-bladder disease.

I have since lost three more barbs, and I worry the last fish may die. The symptoms are always the same-

1. Heavy-breathing
2. Stays near the bottom or top.
3. Refusal to eat.
4. Refusal to shoal.

I also have cichlids and catfish in the tank, and they are doing great. What do you think this disease is? It isn't effecting any other fish in my tank. What should I do? Thanks for your help.

All of my water-levels are fine. There is no large amount of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. My pH is around 7.8.

Hello,

Maybe review the stocking list of your tank.
As for the fish death, any amounts of Ammonia / Nitrites are considered Toxic to fish, and will kill them above 0.50PPM. I would recommend keeping up with water changes and daily testing. Sounds like the Tank has NOT been cycled.

I did cycle it. I tested it heavily after as well. I'll keep up the water changes. My other fish are doing fine. I feel like it may be a swim-bladder disease due to the fish being unable to swim upwards.

The reason I feel it isn't ammonia/nitrite poising is the fact that the fish are dying off slowly. If it could effect one fish, I feel like it would effect the rest. They are dying off slowly. The first one died off about 3 weeks ago. The next victim died off about 2 weeks ago, and then the next two died this week.

The first fish to die had a heavily-bloated belly from the store. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks for your help, but I'm sure I cycled it properly. I don't think it's the problem.

swim-bladder disease is duh to over feeding on live stock.
like blackworm n bloodworm etc.

maybe ur cichlids or catfish beat them up one by one.

if the tank is cycled whats the ppm on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom