Tiger Barbs in a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today my blue crayfish died :cry: Now I have an empty 10g and was wondering if I could have a school of Tiger Barbs in it. I have always liked them but can never have them because I do not want my Angels fins to get tore up. So my question is would it be ok to have a school of Tiger Barbs in a 10g with no other fish?
Thank You

IMO it won't work in a 10. Tigers are pretty bullyish and they'd play "highlander" in a 10 gal (there can be only one). If it was densely planted there might be room for 3 fishwise but probably not egowise.

I agree, I really think that 10 gallons is too small for TBs. They need to be kept in schools of at least 6, so in terms of bioload that rules them out. In addition, they are extremely active swimmers and would not have enough space to swim IMO.

10gal is WAY too small for tiger barbs. aggression aside, they are MUCH too active a swimmer to be confined to a 10. they do best in groups of 6 or more, and at an adult size of 3", 6x3=18inches of fish...too much for a 10gal in the long run.

You might consider a small school of rasboras. They're colorful and lively too.

Save the tiger barbs for a bigger tank, preferably a 30 gal - that way you can enjoy them at their best - in a group of 8 or more. 8)

Back
Top Bottom