tiger barbs mating????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i have 3 albino tiger barbs and 3 regular tiger barbs. seing as how i have 6 of the same type of fish, if figure my chances of them mating is pretty high. for one, i need to know how to tell the difference, they all kinda look the same, and for two will the eggs get eaten? they are all i have in my tank, but i am going to get 2 red tail sharks in with them (i heard they do well, and are really cool!) will these sharks probably eat the eggs? and if so what can i do to prevent it? thanks a lot!

Have you got another tank? if you do put the pregant tiger barb in and when the fry hatch out of the eggs, take the mother out to prevent it eating the fry.

The females are usually dull, the lines aren't as dark as the males and the males are smaller.

Its pretty hard to breed tiger barbs from my experience with them but the temperature has to be hotter around 85F for any success.

Hope i've helped :D

well, that did help a lot. I dont have another tank, but i wil try to get one, or at least a bowl. Umm, stil one question, how do i know what they look like when they are pregnant? Do they just look bigger? Please help

Hi coolkidthatlikesfish,
i need to know how to tell the difference, they all kinda look the same...

A mature (ready to breed) male Tiger Barb's nose will turn an Deep Red/Orange. That's how I can tell my Tiger Barbs apart. (The males also tend to be larger.)

That's right. The male TB has brighter red nose and fins than the female has (especially the dominant male). A mature female TB has a BIG belly, whether she is gravid or not (way bigger belly than the males).

The eggs will surely get eaten, but some will always survive. Have a bunch of floating plants in there for the potential fry to hide in. The shark will also eat the eggs. How to prevent? Keep the TB's in a species only tank. The shark won't like the high temps needed to breed the TB's anyway.

Oh yeah, btw, only put one RTB shark in a tank. As they grow a little older, they will not tolerate each other, and the non-dominant shark will suffer from stress and barely grow until the dominant shark kills it.

wow, thanks a lot for that info. I thought that the shark would like to have a pal, but with this news, i will surely only get one. thanks a lot for your knowledge. Do the tiger barbs also have a red nose when they are not fuly matured. I bout six random ones, and i am pretty sure that i must have at least 1 male. None of mine have distinctive traits. hmm...

Back
Top Bottom