Tiger barbs refusing to eat flakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tiger barbs are refusing to eat the flakes they used to eat before.

They eat peas hungrily when I feed it to them on weekends. They eat brine shrimp fine too (though I realise that they are not very nutritional) , also eat blood worms hungrily.
But problem is - blood worms get stuck in my plants' leaves floating on the surface and I am afraid that it may lead to ammonia spike. Brine shrimp is not nutritional enough to feed everyday.

Is there anything else I can try ? Maybe change the brand of flakes. Any other sinking food that barbs like ?

Only feed them what they can consume in a minute or two. If you notice that you are having a lot of leftovers, then I would definitely cut back on the amount.

How often are you feeding them and what are you feeding them? I only feed mine once a day. One day I will feed them frozen brine shrimp, the following day I will feed them flakes, and so on. By giving them a variety of foods each day you are insuring they get a well balanced diet. And they won't get bored with the foods. :D

They sound a bit "spoiled" on tasty treats but they do need a good comprehensive flake. I would stop feeding the treats until you can get them to eat flake. I highly recommend Omega One. Sinking will likely decompose on the bottom so I would not use them on a regular basis.

good grief tiger barbs that wont eat everything or anything thats dropped in their tank - that must be a first!!!! are you maybe overfeeding a bit??? only asking cos i know i can be guilty of that myself! i have though noticed that after ive had a tub of flake opened for a month or so my barbs dont go as mad for it either - maybe it loses its flavour/smell after being opened for a while & isnt so appetising! id try a new tub or a different brand
good luck :wink:

Back
Top Bottom