tiger barbs staying vetical, sign of ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added 2 tiger barbs to my new tank yesterday. They were active and all, but today when I returned from work I found them keeping a tail-over-head vertical position near water surface for long period of times, and very few chases. Is this a sign of ill? I've attached two pictures.

Are they feeding? Labored breathing? Is their color lighter or darker since you introduced them to the tank? How are your water parameters?
~OR~
I think someone said their's sleep like this. :?

My tiger barbs do that all the time....and it still worries me every time I see it! :D

Apparently they like to rest in that position...who knows....maybe they just like the view!

Wow, what a relief! To know that other tigers do that, too.

Yeah, there're feeding okay, I guess, although not as interested as the other 2 zebra danios....

THANKS!

hi there,
my tigers sleep in a similar position but not so vertical more a 45 degree nose down - they are very sensitive to any nitrite in a tank & often will go nose down if theres a nitrite problem. as long as your ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph levels are normal they should be ok. but i would do a test to make sure.

Oh. Forgot to add that I'm cycling the tank with them plus 2 zebra danios. So there IS nitrite problem(or will soon be).
LFS suggested no water changes for two weeks.

To save your fish, do water changes. The cycle will take longer, but the fish will be better off.

Fruitbat: I see you have 8 tiger barbs in your tank, has it really reduced their aggressiveness? I'm planning to add several more after the tank is cycled to keep their temper in check so that I can keep peaceful community fish like guppys, swordtails & tetras, or maybe even angelfish.

Back
Top Bottom