Tiger barbs with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candiceg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello yesterday I bought 6 green tiger barbs for my 75 gal tank which has a JD, parrot, severum and a jewel in it? I thought that tiger barbs were semi aggressive and would be ok in there. But they seem scared and cichlids are looking at them like there lunch. Should I return them?

I would return them. I'm pretty sure JD's will eat anything they can fit in their mouths and are highly aggressive. Save those little barbs before they either stress to death or become an expensive snack.

Wow scared tiger barbs! If it appears they will be lunch, IMO, either return them, or add to the school. The bigger the school, the braver they will be.

Tiger barbs are very fast and will probably manage to be quick enough to escape for quite a while. But the JD will eventually start taking them out one by one.

Well, not sure about the JD. But I had 9 tiger barbs with my yellow labs, red zebras and two jewels in my 75g and they did just fine. My cichlids usually stay on the bottom portion of the tank and my tigers hung out in the middle.

I added more decor and plants. I think I will give it a couple days. They don't seem as scared now

I had.... HAD tiger bards with my African Cichlid's and they became dinner, lunch and a snack.

Didn't make it too long.

Darn, sorry to hear that, I guess fish seem to be as different as people, some get along some don't :) I wish I still had my tigers, but a case of the ick killed them off first :-(

Diego21 said:
Darn, sorry to hear that, I guess fish seem to be as different as people, some get along some don't :) I wish I still had my tigers, but a case of the ick killed them off first :-(

Oh man sorry. And yeah I always say a tank had a personality and everyone's tank is different. What works for one may not for another.

Barbs are schooling fish and are very insecurre without others of their kind. Most larger Cichlids should not be mixed with smaller fish, they will eat them. Rams and Kribs will get along fine with smaller fish except when spawning.

Back
Top Bottom