Tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on several things. What do you have in there already, how big is the tank and how many do you plan on having? The bigger the tiger school the more they TEND to leave other fish alone because they are too busy keeping their pecking order straight.

Right now I have 20 zebra short fin danios, 6 albino corys, 1 platies (soon to give away), 3 upsidown catfish, 1 bristle nose peleco, 4 mystery snails,3 black kuli loaches, and one red-tail shark. In a 50 gallon tank. I am planning to get at least eight tiger barbs. Plus I want to get some guppies about three maybe. I also want to up schools to fill the extra space.

Right now I have 20 zebra short fin danios, 6 albino corys, 1 platies (soon to give away), 3 upsidown catfish, 1 bristle nose peleco, 4 mystery snails,3 black kuli loaches, and one red-tail shark. In a 50 gallon tank. I am planning to get at least eight tiger barbs. Plus I want to get some guppies about three maybe. I also want to up schools to fill the extra space.

I had tiger barbs and danios together and the barbs chased the danios all over. BUT, the danios would do the same to the barbs, almost as if they were just playing a game. Never saw any fin nipping or harm come out of it. They were both in schools of 10.

Ok so I'm good?

I'd let some others comment. From what I've seen, one person will have issues with them, where another will not. Even with the same stock. Tiger Barbs are funny fish.

I'm not sure I would trust tiger barbs with guppies, but I think you are okay otherwise.

Eeek, I didnt see the guppy part. Those fancy tails would be a target for the barbs and the red tail shark.

ok sweet well I will just get tiger barbs then! thanks!

I had guppies and tiger barbs together and they kept nipping on their tails.... In my opinion i would also choose barbs, they are more fun and active!

ccross said:
Get a mix of albino tigers and regular tigers, they look great all schooling together :)

You can also add green tigers and platinum tigers. I've only seen the platinums once at That Fish Place. They have a metallic bluish sheen to them and I thought were very pretty.

I have Just brought 20 tiger barbs from my lfs they are very small and I was wondering how long they will take to grow and the best food too feed them to get them big quicker?

Sorry to jump in on your post.

I have Just brought 20 tiger barbs from my lfs they are very small and I was wondering how long they will take to grow and the best food too feed them to get them big quicker?

Sorry to jump in on your post.

You'll find TB's will grow in the next couple of months if right now they're around 1inch or slightly less. I've had mine for a year and 1/2 and they're all at or just under the 2 inch mark.

I fed mine TetraMin crisp flakes from day one, then later learned about BloodWorms, Brine Shrimp and veggies / algae wafers.

jcolon said:
You'll find TB's will grow in the next couple of months if right now they're around 1inch or slightly less. I've had mine for a year and 1/2 and they're all at or just under the 2 inch mark.

I fed mine TetraMin crisp flakes from day one, then later learned about BloodWorms, Brine Shrimp and veggies / algae wafers.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes mine are about an inch maybe just under, I will feed them frozen bloodworm I think 3 times a day and see how they get on.

Back
Top Bottom