Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray1980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was thinking of getting tiger barbs for my 60litre tank. Was wondering how many I shud get and wat other fish I cud keep with them?

I'm a tiger barb tank owner. It all happened by accident and sometimes I really wished I had done my research before getting my first tb. They are very fun to watch and active fish but they are semi-aggressive by nature. After learning the hard way and reading a lot about them, I gotta say that they do good if you keep them in school of at least 6, with plenty of room to swim and with some hiding places and plants. The don't like slow fish or fish with long tail and fins although there are a few exceptions to these rules if the tank is big and there are more of them. My tank is not big (20g tall/75 l) and the only companion that is not a tb, is a kuhli loach and some snails. I've been looking for more kuhlies, but my local fish store hasn't brought them in a long time. My tiger barb group is a mix of 5 green tb with 2 albino tb. Those crazies are very hardy and have survived my mistakes from when I started this hobby, I think that's why I like them so much now. Good luck!

60 litres (15 gallons) is a bit small for a group of tiger barbs long term. Tiger barbs get quite large and stocky. They'd be sort of crammed in a 15 gallon once they grew up.
I would suggest politely that you reconsider. Get a different kind of fish.

Tigers

I love my tigers, as do my children. They just love watching them swom around in their little school. My children even loved feeding them. They used to put their fingers in the tank to let the tigers nip at them. They thought it was funny. My Tigers are in a larger tank with Cichlids, and tetras. I tried to add some new small tigers, but they were devoured. I accidently dropped a Betta in the tank... instantly lunch! I would suggest a dozen small tigers with lots of decorations/obstacles to swim around. And go from there.

I love my tigers, as do my children. They just love watching them swom around in their little school. My children even loved feeding them. They used to put their fingers in the tank to let the tigers nip at them. They thought it was funny. My Tigers are in a larger tank with Cichlids, and tetras. I tried to add some new small tigers, but they were devoured. I accidently dropped a Betta in the tank... instantly lunch! I would suggest a dozen small tigers with lots of decorations/obstacles to swim around. And go from there.

How did you accidentally drop a betta in the tank?

Fighter was in a breeder box floating in the tank and when I went to move him to his new home he jumped out of the net....

Back
Top Bottom