Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HLIB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, first post. I took in a 10 gallon from my girlfriends parents when they moved which had a tiger barb and a common pleco. This was my first tank so I did a lot of reading and decided to adopt away the pleco the to pet store. I kept the tiger barb and now have a 29 gallon with 7 harlequin rasboras and 2 bolivian rams so far. The tiger barb has been alone in the 10 gallon for about 8 months now and seems happy but I read they are a social fish that need others. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a few more tiger barbs into the tank and not be too crowded. The tank has an aquaclear 20 on it and has a few java fern plants attached to some driftwood along with an anacharis. Thanks!

I would upgrade the filter before adding anything else since the bio load would be too much for the one you have. You might also have some aggression problems between the harlequins and barbs, so be careful.

I would upgrade the filter before adding anything else since the bio load would be too much for the one you have. You might also have some aggression problems between the harlequins and barbs, so be careful.

The 29 gallon has a aquaclear 70 on it. I was asking if the 10 gallon would be suitable for a few more barbs.

IMO tiger barbs grow too large and are too active for such a small tank. You might be able to put the one and a few more in the 29g but they can be quite aggressive and may bother and nip at the other fish.

Sorry about that, HLIB! Apparently I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm with river cats. The barbs need something more like a 30 gallon and a group of no less than 5(I say 6), but the more the better. They are extremely nippy in my experience, but in larger gross, they keep mostly to themselves, except at feeding. You definitely don't want any more of them in the 10 gallon.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom