Tiger Barbs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be ok to put 7 tiger barbs in a 29 gallon with:6 rummynose tetras, 6 pristella tetras, and a albino bn pleco????

I would strongly discourage tiger barbs with any other fish. I originally got 6 to go with my community tank (29 gallons) that included tetras as well as a pleco like you have and they just caused all sorts of havoc. They are very quick and tended to stress out slower moving and peaceful type fish. So I decided to return them, which was an adventure in itself because they are beyond extremely hard to catch. They also ate at other the fins of other fish. I wanted to get them because they looked very cool but after the hassle I had with them, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies :)

I've heard good and bad things about them!!! I love my rummy nose and pristella but I really want a school of Tiger barbs in my tank. Anyone out there that has a similar experience as me and tried it and it worked out????

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tiger barbs aren't really "community" fish at all. They are sold young, but mature "mean". They are aggressive schoalers and would do better in a larger tank with more active tank mates. The pleco would likely be fine, but I think you'd lose the other fish over time due to stress.

Maybe a more laid back barb? Pandas, snakeskins, etc.?

Tiger barbs aren't really "community" fish at all. They are sold young, but mature "mean". They are aggressive schoalers and would do better in a larger tank with more active tank mates. The pleco would likely be fine, but I think you'd lose the other fish over time due to stress.

Maybe a more laid back barb? Pandas, snakeskins, etc.?

Thank you! I'll look into other barbs. I just want a more active fish that will get along with my other fish in the tank!!

Does anyone have any experience with another type of barb besides the tiger barbs that could go in my 29 gallon with its current stock???? Besides cherry barbs (not to fond of them).

6 rummy nose
6 pristella tetras
1 bn pleco

If so how many should I get???

I was thinking of doing something like this in my 60 gallon community once the cycle is complete. My thoughts were to add my other stock of tetras first and then maybe a month later add the Tiger Barbs. My thought is that if they are going into an already established tank, their aggression might be less due to territories already being claimed.

You can also get a school of Cherry Barbs since they are community fish; they are very pretty and I may end up getting some of those instead.

5 banded hexazona barbs! I have 6 in my 29 with rummynose and they all school around together sometimes. Great little fish!!

Yup, they're as peaceful as the tetras.. They only get about 1.5-2" though, not as big as tigers.. I just discovered 6 banded pentaxona barbs at my Lfs the other day, a mixed school would look awesome! I'm already stocked though..

I will definitely have to call around and see if anywhere carries them. I don't think somewhere like Petsmart or Petco sells them; seems like more of a specialty fish.

Back
Top Bottom