tiger lotus bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richpowell1989

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys I have got a lot of experience in planted tanks but have never grown a plant straight from a bulb,

Untill now, I just ordered 2 and they have both turned up with plants already growing how do I place it in my substrate? I have heard you put the bulb in 3/4 of the way and let it grow, is this true?

Thanks for your help in advance rich

Just push them into the substrate a little bit root side down and wait till it grabs on by itself. Just don't bury the bulb too deep I have a huge red tiger lotus and several red barclaya plants I've started from bulbs. They grew really well for me and I hope for you as well.

FreshwaterTropical said:
Yep that's exactly what you do, we're did you get the bulbs from because I want some!

I live in the uk near me they are very common in the stores but I got it from a website called plantedtank.co.uk

Discusapisto said:
Just push them into the substrate a little bit root side down and wait till it grabs on by itself. Just don't bury the bulb too deep I have a huge red tiger lotus and several red barclaya plants I've started from bulbs. They grew really well for me and I hope for you as well.

Thank you for your reply, yeah I hope they do to but did you do anything specific to help them grow?

richpowell1989 said:
Thank you for your reply, yeah I hope they do to but did you do anything specific to help them grow?

I can tell you from experience lotus prefer a calm direct lighting area of the tank with gentle water flow and they are found in sandy substrates in the wild but any good substrate should do. Upper 70's low 80's for temp and snip the floating leaves off before the reach the surface and the plant will put out more lower leaves which it is treasured for.

Discusapisto said:
I can tell you from experience lotus prefer a calm direct lighting area of the tank with gentle water flow and they are found in sandy substrates in the wild but any good substrate should do. Upper 70's low 80's for temp and snip the floating leaves off before the reach the surface and the plant will put out more lower leaves which it is treasured for.

The tank I want to put it in has Eco complete but it will be moved to 1 of 125 gallons when they are set up, the tank also has very calm water thank you for your help mate

richpowell1989 said:
The tank I want to put it in has Eco complete but it will be moved to 1 of 125 gallons when they are set up, the tank also has very calm water thank you for your help mate

Sounds like a good plan. Your very welcome friend.

Back
Top Bottom