Tiger Oscars 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! I am not new to fishkeeping, but I am to oscars. My husband does not readily share my fish addiction but he has recently taken an interest in oscars. As I will be their primary caregiver, I am starting the reseach process for any and all information pertaining to their care and upkeep. The information I am finding on the web is very conflicting.... are there any decent websites dedicated to this species of fish with accurate information? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!! :)

All I know is they need a large tank. Hopefully someone else chimes in. They are cool fish. Good luck!

They need a 75 minimum for one Oscar. They need 2x a week water changes and great water conditions to keep them from getting hole in the head. Other than that just the same as other american cichlids.

Thanks! Exactly how big do they grow? From what i have been reading, the max size is listed anywhere from 10in to 16in- i do not know what information is correct. Would i be able able to keep more than one in a 120g or is keeping a solitary fish in a 75g more appropriate?

The 120 may work for 2 if they like eachother if not they may fight all the time. About 13 inches is average.

You cant tell the difference in male and female so it's just buying two and getting lucky or buying 4-5 small ones and waiting for them to pair and then get rid of the rest.

Thats interesting. Can you recommend a site that has accurate information regarding these fish (besides asking questions here)? Your help is appreciated! :)

There's a forum somewhere online that is all about oscars
It's best that you don't get 2 unless they're paired
Go with 1 idk if 120G is good for 3 but its better for the aggression

I'm pretty sure there is a site called Oscarlovers.com or somthing like that pretty much just Oscar owners. So good advise imo

Sharkbait54 said:
I'm pretty sure there is a site called Oscarlovers.com or somthing like that pretty much just Oscar owners. So good advise imo

Thats the right one. Im a member of it

Back
Top Bottom