Tiger Oscar Cichlid injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlywelch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

So I brought home a tiger Oscar Cichlid from my friends house because it was getting nipped to death by their turtles. I have a hospital tank I've had set up so I put him in there so he can be by himself and won't have the worry of turtles and other fish nipping at him. He is unfortunately in really bad condition and I'm not sure he will even live, but at least he has a shot in my tank. I'm going to attach a picture and would just like any advice anyone may have on saving this poor fish. I just put him in the tank fifteen minutes ago and he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank looking very sad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
If he lasts a day or 2 he should start recovering once he realizes the danger is gone. Just keep the water good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your advice. I'm hoping he makes it! He is just a little guy who could live many, many more years if he pulls through. He hasn't been moving from the spot he's been in, so I'm just praying he is going to be okay.

Please, we're gonna keep (Unclorinated, fish water, swarming with bacteria) clean?

You really should at least stop by fish store and buy that poor fish a antibiotic/antsesptic,
Its called "fungus cure" and its 4 dollars, and its safe for the tanks "good" bacteria.

Please, were gonna keep (Unclorinated, fish water, swarming with bacteria) clean?

You Really should at least stop by walmart and buy that poor fish a antibiotic/antsesptic,
Its called "fungus cure" and its 4 dollars, and its safe for the tanks "good" bacteria.

Keep ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite down, and good bacteria exists, human beings ourselves are full of it, it helps break things down.
Anyway, an antibiotic would work, but not a fungus med as there is no fungus but melafix would work well also.

WTF Are You Talking About?

Please, were gonna keep (Unclorinated, fish water, swarming with bacteria) clean?
I just went back and re-read the first 3 posts before yours (4th) and did not come across the word "clean."

Please explain. :whistle:

Keep ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite down, and good bacteria exists, human beings ourselves are full of it, it helps break things down.
Anyway, an antibiotic would work, but not a fungus med as there is no fungus but melafix would work well also.
Fungus cure is in fact an antibiotic and antifungal mixture.
Its primarily for superficial wounds and fungus/mould
I am just not a big fan of the "fixes" people seem to think they can keep the tanks free of bad bacteria by shotgun dosing randomly some tea tree oil....
In a fish tank, this is just not feasible.

Just perform a daily 50% wc and add aquarium salt. Like when you get a booboo and go swimming in the ocean. Cleary that fish has been through the ringer and harsh meds may just prove to much. Lights off, feed high quality foods. A couple earthworms may just save his life. Tell your friend they're ridiculous by the way;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you everyone for your advice! I actually already have some fungus cure on hand. I just got home from work and he is still alive so that makes me very happy. I'm going to take a trip to the pet store for some food for him because I have goldfish so I don't have any Cichlid food on hand. I am going to do water changes, salt, and keep his light off because I have noticed he is more comfortable moving around in the dark. Maybe he is shy/scared. And I want to get him a rock he can hide behind because I've been told cichlids prefer to have a hiding spots. And believe me I know my friend isn't the smartest having the turtles in their tank. They've killed a few fish in their tank and I have tried telling them the turtles shouldn't be in there with them. Let's just say they are kind of clueless when it comes to fish keeping. They currently have in their tank a goldfish, three cichlids, two silver dollars, an angel fish and the two turtles. I've tried educating them but they don't listen...makes me sad and mad.

FUJO

Fungus cure is in fact an antibiotic and antifungal mixture.
Its primarily for superficial wounds and fungus/mould
I am just not a big fan of the "fixes" people seem to think they can keep the tanks free of bad bacteria by shotgun dosing randomly some tea tree oil....
In a fish tank, this is just not feasible.

I would not recommend putting anything but water and salt in the tank.

Thanks again. And yeah that's all I'm going to do unless he develops something that requires treatment. He seems more comfortable today and has been eating. I caught him swimming around too which he hasn't been doing much of! He definitely moves around the tank when I'm not around. I got a decoration which he can hide in so he is liking that. Thanks so much for the help!

I would not recommend putting anything but water and salt in the tank.
This fish has had half of his body and fins ripped off.
What is your basis for not just simply giving this fish an antibiotic.
Even an oral feed such as oxytetracycline is so easy and so safe....
It may not be infected but it is going to be and it sure would help this fish out.

This fish has had half of his body and fins ripped off.

What is your basis for not just simply giving this fish an antibiotic.

Even an oral feed such as oxytetracycline is so easy and so safe....

It may not be infected but it is going to be and it sure would help this fish out.

Nipped fins not body, half a body means dead fish. Fins get damaged, they'll regrow and with proper conditions will be fine. Saying they'll get infected is like saying you'll get staff and lose an arm everythme you get a paper cut. Keep treating as is and if any issues arise then treat with meds but current meds can be harsh to fish. Just be prepared for it.

For now I am going to continue to keep his tank clean as possible with partial water changes and use aquarium salt. I also don't think any medication is necessary right now and definitely don't want to cause any unecessary stress on the poor guy. He seems to be doing well, much better than the first day I had him. He has been swimming around, while still resting occasionally. He doesn't seem to have any sort of infection so far, so that is good! I saw him come up to the top of the tank earlier when I dropped some food in and that made me super happy because that's the first time he's done that! I'll keep everyone updated on his recovery!

I attached another photo of him from tonight also

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 93
Nice Work, low stress, clean water and some good feed can go a long way. Watch out for open/red sores developing as that would be something that may need more attention. Missing scales and shredded fins will usually come back under the proper conditions. Keep it up:)

Awesome job on getting this guy back to healthy status. As Brookster123 and a couple others have said frequent water changes is all that's needed with good food. He will be wagging his tail for food in no time!

Awesome job on getting this guy back to healthy status. As Brookster123 and a couple others have said frequent water changes is all that's needed with good food. He will be wagging his tail for food in no time!

I was going to reference your max in this case... showing what clean water can do for a superficial wound, even if it looks like phil Mickelson chunked an approach shot off your head ;)

Thanks guys! I will definitely be on the lookout for any red streaks! He has been getting better and better everyday. He's been coming out of hiding a lot more too. Although it's only been five days since I have rescued this little guy, I can already see some places where his fins and tail are growing back! It's truly amazing to me how I'm already seeing growth! I'm just glad this fish will never have to worry about being hurt ever again. I'm one happy girl that this fish seems to be getting better :)

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd post this video to show how good this little guy has been feeling recently! He's been out a lot more swimming around instead of hiding all the time! And he has been much more excited about food! You can even see where his fins have started growing back :)

Back
Top Bottom