Tiger Watchman Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m3drver

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS has one of these guys and I want to pick him up. Liveaquaria says it should be kept in a min 50 gal tank. I have a 46 bow. Will I be pushing it if i put him in my 46?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tiger Watchman Sand Sifter Goby

I was also looking at the Diamond Watchman Goby. But it has the same tank requirements.

I have 2 clowns and 1 Cleaner Shrimp and a bunch of snails and Dwarf Blue Leg hermit crabs already in the tank.

I don't think your tank size is a problem. IMO, the only issue with sand sifting gobies is many starve if you can't get them eating the same food you feed your other fish.

That's a sweet looking fish. Never seen one before. The head area almost looks translucent, is it?

See if you can get your LFS to put some mysis in his tank and see if he will eat frozen food before you buy him so you know he won't starve.

I don't think your tank size is a problem. IMO, the only issue with sand sifting gobies is many starve if you can't get them eating the same food you feed your other fish.

See if you can get your LFS to put some mysis in his tank and see if he will eat frozen food before you buy him so you know he won't starve.

both good points. Tomorrow I'll ask the LFS to feed him and see what happens. I know the LFS usually feeds pellets, Mysis and Brine and this fish has been there for a couple of weeks, so he must be eating something since there's not a whole lot of sand in the tank he's in...

That's a sweet looking fish. Never seen one before. The head area almost looks translucent, is it?

I'd say its just less pigments than the rest of the body. not completely translucent. the blue stripe across its head stands out and the one at my LFS has a touch of yellow on its bottom and tail fins.

I agree that the size of the tank will not be much of a problem but as the others said if you could get him to eat prepared foods then that would be a plus.

Last edited:
How's those frags doing? You need to post some pics

Yeah I'll post some later on today. all the frags are doing well. Sun coral is eating well, Zoos are happy and open,Mushroom has doubled in size, and the pocillopora is still adjusting. I still haven't found that right spot in the tank for it. I also have another Red Mushroom.

anyway, not to hijack my own thread here, I'm heading out to the LFS to see the Goby. if all looks good he'll have a new home tonight. hopefully its still there.

I agree that the size of the tankill not be much of a problem but as the others said if you could get him to eat prepared foods then that would be a plus.

Thats what I'm going to check out today. I'll ask the guys at the LFS to feed him then watch him for a bit. I feed my tank a combo of Mysis, Blender mush and flakes, alternating between all three

Its a very cool looking fish and looks to have some personality also. I'm trying to choose my fish carefully since i don't have a big tank. in addition to the two clowns, which are already in the tank, I want to get a Royal Gramma and MAYBE a Coral Beauty as well, but those are later on down the road. I know the CB might nip at corals so I'm a bit hesitant.

but anyway right now its only the goby that might be coming home. the rest are potential future tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom