Time for a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfergusonjr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently using a Whisper 40 on my 29 gallon FW tank. I've heard really good things about the Aqua Clear filters. So the 200/50 for 20-50 Gallon tanks would be the one right? I know I've seen posts about over filtering so want to be sure I don't need the bigger one.
Is the media that comes in the box what I should use or is there a better option?
I was going to run both filters on the tank at the same time to make sure I get bacteria growth in the new media. How long should this be done? Is there a better option for switching filters?

mfergusonjr said:
I'm currently using a Whisper 40 on my 29 gallon FW tank. I've heard really good things about the Aqua Clear filters. So the 200/50 for 20-50 Gallon tanks would be the one right? I know I've seen posts about over filtering so want to be sure I don't need the bigger one.
Is the media that comes in the box what I should use or is there a better option?
I was going to run both filters on the tank at the same time to make sure I get bacteria growth in the new media. How long should this be done? Is there a better option for switching filters?

Is the Wisper dying? If not I'd suggest just keeping both operational so you do have lots of filtration and if you ever need to setup a QT or whatever in a hurry, you'll be able to instant cycle it with either filter.

I have the AC50 and it's the perfect size for a 29g and I'd sugget you save the carbon pack for when you need it and run a wad of poly-fil in it's place. That stuff is excellent at polishing the water. Anything bigger that the 50 will create too much turbulence IMO.

Won't running both create a ton of turbulence? I feel like I already have a lot of movement in the tank. The Whisper is making some different noises so I want to get a new filter in case it dies.

mfergusonjr said:
Won't running both create a ton of turbulence? I feel like I already have a lot of movement in the tank. The Whisper is making some different noises so I want to get a new filter in case it dies.

On the AC50 you can dial down the flow rate and it sounds like the Whisper doesn't have that option. Good call on noisy filter, better to be covered than scrambling to put a new one in if it dies ;).

As for flow, I can't really say without knowing your tank setup.

Back
Top Bottom