Timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but here goes... I keep seeing mention of timers for the tank lighting. My question -- Is that all the timer is used for? I imagine it's ok to turn of the bubbler for a spell, but can you turn the filter off for any period of time? I'm setting up a tank in my daughter's room (she got one as a gift), but she complains about the noise of the filter all night.

Can you turn off the filter for the night?

Thanks in advance.

I would not turn off the filter it could harm the fish. I have an Aqueon quiet flow filter and it is very quiet you could try that one.

I would not turn off the filter it could harm the fish. I have an Aqueon quiet flow filter and it is very quiet you could try that one.

+1 for aqueons. Also, do not turn off filter or else bacteria in media will start dieing and making the water cloudy.

I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but here goes... I keep seeing mention of timers for the tank lighting. My question -- Is that all the timer is used for? I imagine it's ok to turn of the bubbler for a spell, but can you turn the filter off for any period of time? I'm setting up a tank in my daughter's room (she got one as a gift), but she complains about the noise of the filter all night.

Can you turn off the filter for the night?

Thanks in advance.

What type of filter is it? How many gallon tank?

it actually depends on the fish that you have and the tank size. Hardier fish, guppies, tetras, and such, will tolerate a period of no filtration as mother nature doesn't always have the most pristine environment for the fish. i have a 25gal freshwater tank in my bedroom and i have my filter turned off before i go to sleep. the only thing that's on the entire time is my heater.

it actually depends on the fish that you have and the tank size. Hardier fish, guppies, tetras, and such, will tolerate a period of no filtration as mother nature doesn't always have the most pristine environment for the fish. i have a 25gal freshwater tank in my bedroom and i have my filter turned off before i go to sleep. the only thing that's on the entire time is my heater.

I don't do that night is the messiest time of the day. Crayfish can cause real dirty problems.

I don't do that night is the messiest time of the day. Crayfish can cause real dirty problems.

i have german blue rams and gold rams, among other fish, in the 25gal tank. they're supposedly on the sensitive side of the spectrum. so far, the on and off of the filter has not caused any casualty.

and i also think that if this guy/gal is putting something in his/her daughter's room, i would assume that the tank isn't too big and he/she is not going to stock it with ultra sensitive fish. guppies and tetras are what i'm assuming for this tank.

i have german blue rams and gold rams, among other fish, in the 25gal tank. they're supposedly one of the most "sensitive" fish out there. so far, the on and off of the filter has not caused any casualty.

No. Germans and gold rams are not the most sensitive. I think discus is. Rams are pretty easy going.

What I have now is a 20 gallon tank currently stocked with 4 tetras. I plan to add more soon, this my question. I figured it was ok while I only had 4 fish in 20g, but I've started to wonder as the population of the tank grows, so will the demands on the oxygen in the tank and filtration needs.

and i also think that if this guy/gal is putting something in his/her daughter's room, i would assume that the tank isn't too big and he/she is not going to stock it with ultra sensitive fish. guppies and tetras are what i'm assuming for this tank.

Yeah. That is what in think to. Probably something around 10 gal.

What I have now is a 20 gallon tank currently stocked with 4 tetras. I plan to add more soon, this my question. I figured it was ok while I only had 4 fish in 20g, but I've started to wonder as the population of the tank grows, so will the demands on the oxygen in the tank and filtration needs.

Always, the bio load on the filter will grow the more fish you have. 4 tetras are really not that much in a 20 gal. What type of filter is it? I have a marineland 150 on my 20 gal

No. Germans and gold rams are not the most sensitive. I think discus is. Rams are pretty easy going.

i know that they're not the most ultra super sensitive out there, but they do deserve more attention than your typical guppies and tetras. Discus is one of the most sensitive fish out there but there are ways in which discus can be kept with minimal filtration.

i know that they're not the most ultra super sensitive out there, but they do deserve more attention than your typical guppies and tetras. Discus is one of the most sensitive fish out there but there are ways in which discus can be kept with minimal filtration.

True rams do need more attention than tetras and guppies. Don't rams need food with specific ingredients to keep thee colors vivid?

I would suggest getting an aquaclear filter. I started out with a Whisper and it was so noisy. The tank is in my bedroom and I couldn't sleep. I took every ones advice and got an aquaclear50 for my 29 gallon and it was amazing. The only thing I hear is the water dropping down. Like a water fountain. You can dampen that by adding a baffle or raising the water level. I plan on buying another one for my 10 gallon.

I would suggest getting an aquaclear filter. I started out with a Whisper and it was so noisy. The tank is in my bedroom and I couldn't sleep. I took every ones advice and got an aquaclear50 for my 29 gallon and it was amazing. The only thing I hear is the water dropping down. Like a water fountain. You can dampen that by adding a baffle or raising the water level. I plan on buying another one for my 10 gallon.

Yeah. Aqua clears are really good filters. So are the marineland hob series.

Back
Top Bottom