Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to Ace Hardware and they said they don't carry the Janitorial strength ammonia anymore, so... since I already had a bag of raw shrimp in the freezer, I popped two into a pair of nylons I bought at wal-mart and the cycle is now official!

I'm still trying to decide what type of flow I want to do for this tank.

I've basically got three main options:
  1. Use new Koralia 750 that I have laying around the house in conjuction with the flow from the return pump.
  2. Purchase two Koralia 425's and place one on each side of the tank facing up and towards the front glass.
  3. Purchase an Ecotech Vortech MP10 and have the flow going from side to side.
After buying the MP10's for the 54, it is almost a no brainer, BUT this tank is a "lower" flow tank with the angler, so I would never have it near capacity and dialed down to 50%.

The biggest PRO for the MP10 is the postion on the outside of the tank / small footprint inside, BUT is $200 work the "sleekness"? It's worth the flow in my 54, but I don't think its worth it.

Are the 425's much smaller in size than the 750's?

Another question: During the cycle what all should be running / not running. I figure that lights will be off, but what about return pump, Powerhead, heater?

Also do I add the chemipure and purigen now, or what until the cycle is over? When do I add the chaeto to the refuge? I'm sure it is after the cycle, but do I wait to get the fish first?

I would run the mp10 only for the small foot print in the tank 29 gallons is a small tank ant with the others they will look big and bulky in there

Also I would go pick up some microbacter 7 and use that to cycle you tank
As for what to have running just the return pump is all I ever use and that's it

So no heater? Yeah, I put in my 750 just to see, and I even hid the back magnet in the back chamber so it faced forward, and it really looks terrible. One thing about it, since I won't be using multiple PH's or a radion for this tank, I don't have to buy the wireless version so I can save $50.

My arm is twisted, MP10 it is.

I'm not going to run it if I don't have to, I just remember people saying something about warmer water 81-83F, helping the tank cycle along.

"In the Mortal Kombat voice" IT HAS BEGUN!!!

The picture is deceiving, in real life it looks to be 2.0, 0, 0. It's a start, and thank God for the cover on the biocube as I was not expecting that wretched smell when I opened the lid!

It looks super gross too...

I just saw this thread and that angler is gorgeous. I'm about to consider starting up a new tank just for him also. What's the minimum tank size for them?

I believe some say 20 gallons and others say 30 gallons minimum. I feel my 29 is good enough.

Here is a VERY preliminary list:

Corals for the Biocube 29:
· Cyphastrea Coral
· Turbinara Coral
· Fox Coral
· Galaxea
· Torch
· Zoa’s
· Mushrooms
· Acans
· Starburt Polyps
· Giant Palm Tree Coral
· Toadstool
· Trumpet

Day three:

Enough to gag a maggot...

Readings are: 3.0 ammo, .5ppm trite, 5.0ppm trates

TLTGF said:
Day three:

Enough to gag a maggot...

Readings are: 3.0 ammo, .5ppm trite, 5.0ppm trates

Eww.... What is it? I'm glad you've got readings for everything though.

I just read the past 18 pages of your thread! Your rockscape looks amazing, and I really like the look of that angler fish. My LFS just sold a leaf fish that they had kept for months, I considered getting a separate tank for it a bunch of times.

In my Biocube 29, the only flow I have is a Koralia 550. I'm adding a 425 with it, because a 550 alone isn't quite enough flow for the SPS I want in the future.

I would really recommend getting a torch coral for the tank. I have a medium one, it looks really amazing. It is far my favorite coral. With the extra flow I'm going to add, it will look stunning. I really like the mushrooms that you picked out on DD, too.

Torch is certain, as I don't have room in the 54. Mushrooms are good, I'll probably add some ricordias as well as I really like them. The fish is very stunning indeed and I'm excited to get one.

I decided to go with a Vortech MP10 to eliminate having multiple PH's in the tank.

As for the scape, my plan was to do a minimalist scape, while still trying to duplicate the fishes natural tendencies. For ex. If you watch any videos you will see they like to perch as well as lean with their pec muscles. The tonga branch answered that. I also kept the overall amount of rock to a minimum because I took into account many of the corals I want for this tank will come attached to a rock of their own, therefore I didn't want to have too much rock, or have to remove the base rock I added already.

I'm HOPING that I won't have to move this scape around too much as its very simple, very sturdy, and nice to look at.

Back
Top Bottom