Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it normal to have visible daily growth on a Monti? Am I just getting lucky?

LOL, I thought it was just me. Mine has visibly gotten larger, I just keep thinking that it can't grow that fast. Would like to know also if this is the norm?

My little one has grown a good 1/2" on all sides. There was even a piece that broke off when I was getting it situated. I just laid it on the rocks and it has now encrusted itself to the rock and thriving. It has only been about 3 weeks. :)

Same here - little broken piece, but yup in a week or so I've gotten probably 1/4"!

On a negative note, I just found that my latest mushroom purchase came with a... MAJANO! I saw it today as it detached from the mushroom rock and reattached to another rock I have just above the mushrooms... Its about an inch across.

Removal techniques?

I also found an aptasia hitchhiker that came on a xenia, but luckily, I caught it in time, and its easy to toss the rock away with that one.

I've been so focused on my corals lately that I haven't been thinking about fish.

Right now in my (54) I have a pair of B/W Perc clowns, and (2) green Chromis along with (1) skunk cleaner shrimp.

I was planning to add:

(1) Midas Blenny
(1) Purple Firefish
(1) McCosker's / Carpenters Flasher wrasse
(1) Skunk cleaner shrimp (for a total of 2)

Anyone see any issues?

Needless to say the fish won't be added all at once!

TLTGF said:
I've been so focused on my corals lately that I haven't been thinking about fish.

Right now in my (54) I have a pair of B/W Perc clowns, and (2) green Chromis along with (1) skunk cleaner shrimp.

I was planning to add:

(1) Midas Blenny
(1) Purple Firefish
(1) McCosker's / Carpenters Flasher wrasse
(1) Skunk cleaner shrimp (for a total of 2)

Anyone see any issues?

Needless to say the fish won't be added all at once!

Everything looks good about that lol. I haven't really posted in this thread for like a year, but rest assured, I'm still reading haha

How many gallons do I need to make through my new RO/DI (I got the PWC 100gpd from eBay link) before I can start saving?

Officially producing my own RO. I've now made around 30 gallons total, threw out the first 10-11.

I bought a 32 gallon Brute for storage.

I ordered my refractometer off ebay, and should be here next week sometime.

I have decided to purchase a Derasa clam from my LFS. They have quite a few, so I'll pick one out tomorrow or Sunday. Very excited!

isn't the ro/di unit somewhat freeing? lol I love not having to lug water anymore. I also use a 32g brute for my water, works out fine, takes about 6 hours to fill. :)

Good luck with the clam, make sure we get pictures!

Pictures for sure... of the clam! I don't think the garbage can / ro/di necessarily deserve photo space...

All kidding aside, I think that hands down the BEST two purchases / bang-for-the-buck items I have gotten have been ATI bulbs and my RO/DI unit as far as improving the entire aquaria experience for me.

I agree..I went for years with the little plastic box and pointer system. Spent $25 on e-bay on a refractometer and can't believe I went so long without one.

actually the refractometer should be here MONDAY! I just ordered it on Wednesday.

I almost forgot... I found a small aptasia (about 1/2") growing on a small rock that a xenia frag was using. I planned to get rid of it this weekend, but today when I looked in the tank, it had completely disappeared.

My skunk cleaner didn't eat it did he? He's getting a high-five if he did!

Should I now be more concerned? Yikes!

Go get some aptaisha x and keep it on hand so if u do start to c little ones u can stop them b4 they become a big issue

Back
Top Bottom