Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did another large water change today. This is my second using Reef Crystals.

Temp: 79F
SG: 1.025
Ammo: 0
Trite: 0
Trates: <5 (Down from 10)
pH: 8.0
Alk: 8.9 (up from 7.7)

Thats all the tests I have... Really need Ca. and Mg. I am very pleased with the Alk increase. I'm sure it will continue to rise as I change more and more water with the new mix.

I think all will b well as long as wife keeps an eye on the water from my rodi so it don't overflow while I am at work

updated progress

Well finally done with the varnish. Ecotech radion is mounted. Sump 24x13x16 is almost complete with the baffles still to be completed. Not too happy with the way the seams turned out but filled it with water and no leaks yet after 3 hours. Gonna let it set for another day or two. Prob around a week out for filling the tank.

Here's some progress pics

Attachments

• IMG_20111214_172715.jpg
    IMG_20111214_172715.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20111214_171825.jpg
    IMG_20111214_171825.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20111214_171844.jpg
    IMG_20111214_171844.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 100
Stunning! It really looks good - makes me want a hood even more now! The lights look bright- 1st impressions?

My first impression of the lights are I think they are great. Unfortunately I have a Mac and the radion is not yet compatible with them yet. Gonna need to borrow a laptop or possibly use my phone to adjust the spectrum and times of operation. Not yet sure if I'm able to program using my phone. Light seems to cover well not sure if that will change when I add the water. Take my first impressions with a grain of salt though, as I haven't seen my tank with any other light. Good for me but bad for reviewing purposes.

Thank you. I just hope my sump holds up. I guess if it holds water for a couple of days it should hold. I don't know how else to be sure its gonna hold

Good idea Rob. I'm not too worried about the flow yet. Right now it is just the sump 24x13x16 with 1 weir in so far. I'm more concerned with my welds as this is my first time attempting to construct acrylic. I'm also thinking of gluing a sheet of acrylic on the bottom and the 2 ends to give added support to the seems. I don't know if that makes sense to you. Right now I'm just looking for piece of mind. At least I will have a little more knowledge going into building my refugium. What do you think of my refuge plans. I only have room for a 12" footprint and was planning on making it 20" tall. My overflow would be tee'd off from my DT with one going to the sump and the other to the refuge. I was planning on the inlet to the refuge going to the bottom of it and having the outlet gravity feed off the top to my sump. Hopefully that makes sense. Just trying to get flow throughout the refuge. I'm just wondering if having the inlet going in 16 or so inches of water would create too much backpressure causing all the water to be directed to the sump. I guess it would have to be something I'm gonna have to play by ear. Any advice always appreciated

Just did the calculations. My sump is 17 gallons and the refuge is 11. Was I supposed to size my equipment to include these extra gallons. I oversized everything so I should be good. Just something I never thought of. The only thing I think that the extra gallons will effect would be the heater. I dont think it would effect Skimmer size as the sump and refuge don't increase Bio load. Just curious.

As far as refuge lighting, since I have a small footprint 12x12x20tall I was thinking of going with the jbj nano led. The only thing the light is used for is to grow macro correct. Due to the narrow footprint the macro will block light from penetrating to the rock and sand base. Will this be a prob. Thanks again

I thought you were supposed to run the refuge lights opposite of DT light so you don't get the Ph swings. Is that correct?

I'm going to go with aragamax sugar sized or the Bahamas oolite which someone recommended. I really like the white sand look. I've heard of dust storms with these products. Has anyone used them with success? Also they sell aragalive with Bio in it, does anyone know if I can just add one of the 20# live and the rest of the dry to start my tank or am I going to cycle regardless

That stand is rad! Love the canopy. I need to get started on my stand soon, I doubt it will look as good as yours when it's done.

Tim, I've got 1 little bitty Shroom that has started to head for Z hills. I moved a small rock to it & it has attached itself. I figure I'll try to get a couple more together then I'll send it to yeah.

Thanks Kc! Are you planning a hood for your stand as well? I'm thinking about trying to make one to clean up the look. Just something simple to match the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom