Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was trying to get a picture of my emerald crabs this morning... I purchased two at the same time, both about 1" across on the main shell. Currently (1) is about the same size, but the other has got to be close to 2" across on it's main shell not including legs / arms. My question is, how big do they get?

It's big enough that I watched him last night trying to catch my clowns. He wasn't fast enough but sure he's large enough.

Well since pictures are always good and I couldn't get a good one of the EC, here's my new octo - frogspawn all opened up. About the size of a tennis ball.

Very nice frog spawn. as far as the ec's go, I bought 3 about 2 weeks ago and one has already malted and gotten bigger as well. From what I have heard ppl say. . . They don't get very big.

200 gallon reef said:
Very nice frog spawn. as far as the ec's go, I bought 3 about 2 weeks ago and one has already malted and gotten bigger as well. From what I have heard ppl say. . . They don't get very big.

Mine is 8 years old. Started the size of a golfball. It is now the size of a soccer ball and has slowed down. Mine has always been real sensitive to salinity.

Gregcoyote said:
Mine is 8 years old. Started the size of a golfball. It is now the size of a soccer ball and has slowed down. Mine has always been real sensitive to salinity.

You have an emerald crab the size of a soccer ball???? That's a nightmare waiting to happen! Lol. I'm pretty sure you meant the frog spawn though.

I have 5 emeralds. They were all the same size when I got them and now 4 are about 3x in size and 1 is double everyone else. He does the same thing though I believe as yours. He will perch himself on a rock with claws up trying to "catch" fish as they go by. He's never been quick enough though

Jlsardina said:
You have an emerald crab the size of a soccer ball???? That's a nightmare waiting to happen! Lol. I'm pretty sure you meant the frog spawn though.

I have 5 emeralds. They were all the same size when I got them and now 4 are about 3x in size and 1 is double everyone else. He does the same thing though I believe as yours. He will perch himself on a rock with claws up trying to "catch" fish as they go by. He's never been quick enough though

No, no, no...my frogspawn is what I am referring to.

My salinity thus far has been pretty on-point and almost never moving from 1.026.

Pretty sure a soccer ball sized anything is getting rehomed either with an upgrade or to another tank :)

Yup, my emerald got out on a ledge and was swatting at my clowns as they were trying to sleep swim... They kept swimming close and tail whipping him - super funny.

Have you had the glass top off yet, or are you waiting to finish the new one? Salinity might be a kittle more of a chore now.

99% finished with new one. I need 4 more screws and washers so I'll have to go to HD or work to get some more. It'll be done by tomorrow. Then I'll look into an ATO, or maybe skip it and go right to a controller... ;)

Do the DIY ato that brs has and put the tunze pump on it that is what I am doing its 50 bucks and then do the controller

Where can I find the DIY top off? Got a link? I went to the site and maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

Yes that is only issue is if you hook it up it will run for 5 min when first powered up so let it run in ur top off container first then plum it to ur sump

Back
Top Bottom