Tim's 75 Gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost fish

:confused: In the last 3 days I have lost 3 fish and dont know why. I lost the Kole tang first. He looked like he faded in 1 day and was dead the next. He looked like you could see his spine on the side of his body, but he had a fat tummy and was eating. Next one of my saddleback clowns came up missing. Didnt see anything strange, and never found him. Then the last was my one spot foxface. He looked like he had little black specks on him, but he changed colors alot and I thought that was part of it. He was dead the next day and I cant find him either. Should I tear the tank apart and look for them? My other saddleback clown looks fine and my coral beauty looks good too and they are eating. I checked parameters and have 0,0,5. I dont have a test for phosphates, but I have a refugium with cheato and live rock and am also running a gfo/carbon reactor. So, I can only assume that phosphates arent out of control. I just bought a phosphate tester from BRS and am waiting for it to get here. I have xenia, hammers, toadstool, leather, and a couple sps's. All are doing good. Could this be HLLE and would it kill that fast? Should I treat with something?

Also, I only have small hermits and snails in there, so nothing that would eat a fish that size. I also have a carpet nem that the clown hosts.

Wow Tim sorry to hear that. I hope you find the answer soon.

I think you gotta find them... fish those size rotting in the tank would not be good for nitrates/phosphates.

The carcass of my foxface floated to the front of the aquarium tonight. He was just bones with a little flesh. Not what I would expect in 1 day. Now just have to find the remains of the other clown. Very sad day at my house.....

Sorry for your losses. The worst part is not knowing - we know so little about these ecosystems many times we never find out.

When only fish are affected it usually narrows the culprit to some sort of parasite or disease. Maybe look into "black spot ich" and "marine velvet".

Cant find the other clown this morning. Down to my coral beauty that looks perfect and my corals. Ready to tear it completely down and start over. This sucks!

So sorry Tim . With how fast it killed I would be thinking velvet also. Do you think you should move the coral beauty to qt?

Sorry to hear of your tank misfortune..it could also be brooklynella
i agree with honda ,the CB can be saved in a QT

Dont have a qt, but do have a 29 that is doing well. Dont want to move the disease to that. May have to go out and buy a small tank. Would it work to take water out of the tank that I am having trouble with and use it in a qt? I am doing a water change anyway so this would be easy to do. I will just put the water into the qt and refill the dt with fresh saltwater.

I think I would use new SW and drip acclimate in a bucket with old water to new, just to be safe so you don't spread it to the QT.

I am thinking now that the foxface brought it into the tank. I got it a couple weeks ago. He had just gotten to the store and they had only had him one day. I should have waited. I feel like crap. Very depressing, thought I was doing so well and making smart decisions....Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom