Tiny clam in 3g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed this little bivalve in my 3g today, not sure exactly what it is! It is definitely some sort of bivalve, it closes when touched and looks just like the seashells you find on beaches, with a caramel colored checker board on each shell.

The mantle is tiny, and doesn't appear to be much of any color except whitish grey.

Any thoughts? In this pic, the specimen in question is semi, closed, and usually only opens fully when the surrounding zoas are completely open.

Yeah, decided after a little research it doesn't look like a clam, thanks for confirming.

Just curious, what kind of light do they require? I'm guessing they consume plankton just like their larger relative, but I haven't found much info about their other requirements. So far it's doing well, I'm happy bc it must mean the tank is becoming more mature.

I'd just leave it be. I have one in the midst of some zoas that's been there about 6 months and I don't bother trying to take care of it. It's still alive and the same size. They don't get very big

I'd just leave it be. I have one in the midst of some zoas that's been there about 6 months and I don't bother trying to take care of it. It's still alive and the same size. They don't get very big

Thanks bribo, good to know.,

Back
Top Bottom