Tiny white bugs on my driftwood...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the weekend I was doing a pwc on my tank. When I do my pwc's I always unplug the heaters to prevent them from getting damaged when I lower the water level.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry Thurs. night (Thanksgiving!), and when I was finished I forgot to plug the heaters back in. When I went to take a piece of zucchini out of the tank last night, I thought to myself "Geez!, that water is cold!!" So I checked the water and it was 66F 8O I immediately plugged my heaters back in, and examined the tank for anything unusual. I was looking on my driftwood and I saw a bunch of tiny little white things crawling all over my driftwood. They are about the size of a ballpoint pen tip. There are probably hundreds of them.

I checked my tank this morning when I woke up and it was back to normal 78F. I know that is a quick rise in temp in such a short period of time, but it seems all the fishies made it ok.

Wondering if anyone knows what these things are. Could it be related to the temp. drop at all or just a coincidence?? Would like to know what these are please.

More than likely just harmless nematodes. They can infest a tank, look ugly, but are harmless to fish. The probablity is that they are brought in with commercially prepared dried fish food.

A diatom filter is a good investment for sevearl reasons. Ridding the tank of nematodes is just one. :wink:

I had a planaria problem not too long ago. Little white worms on my glass. I upped the water changes, and really cleaned the gravel. Also cut back on feeding. If the little wormies have nothing to eat, they will die and go away.

Thanks for the advice, but they are not worms at all. Also, they are not on my glass. I only feed once every other day. I think Brian is right

I thought nematodes are also worms?? I also thought nematodes were free swimming. I could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom