Tips for success with south americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I've only ever had African cichlids before, but I now have a south American/ new world tank, and I'm looking for any pieces of knowledge you all have for success. Stocking is (all juveniles, under 2")

-blood parrots
-salvinis
-jack dempsey
-firemouths

In your experience, are all these compatible in the long run, and would angelfish work in the mix at all? What tips can you give me on feeding, care, etc to make them live long and healthy lives? Please and thank you!!

Well right now it's a 60 gallon with lots of hidey places and a "clean up crew". In a year or so I'm upgrading to a much larger tank. Its been a community tank for years, has a fluval u3 internal filter (300 gph I believe) and a fluval 305 cannister filter (another 300 gph I think don't quote me on that). Fully cycled tank, ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates stable at about 20. Local tap water is hard with a ph around 7.5. Tank temp is 25 degrees Celsius I currently feed a mix of tropical pellets, flakes and spirulina every day, with frozen food once or twice a week. Is there any other useful info I'm missing here about tank specifics?

Hi guys, I've only ever had African cichlids before, but I now have a south American/ new world tank, and I'm looking for any pieces of knowledge you all have for success. Stocking is (all juveniles, under 2")

-blood parrots
-salvinis
-jack dempsey
-firemouths

In your experience, are all these compatible in the long run, and would angelfish work in the mix at all? What tips can you give me on feeding, care, etc to make them live long and healthy lives? Please and thank you!!

The most basic advice is to keep the water clean, stock similarly aggressive species and watch the size discrepancy.

Based on your current stock, I would recommend getting rid of the blood parrot(s) for multiple reasons. The salvini has the potential to beat up your other fish and is likely the most aggressive in the bunch.

How many of each fish do you have? I am seeing a lot of plurals. if you in fact have multiple salvinis and firemouths, you will need that larger tank down the line, as the aggression and nitrates will start to get out of control when they grow.

60g isn't really that big when it comes to SA/CA, a pair of salvini or single JD, or single parrot with a school of smaller fish is pretty much the max.

The SA cichlids tend to grow much faster then people are ready for. I have had JD that reach almost 11" growing at .5 to 1" per month for the first 6 months. Then fill out and grow more.

You have enough filtration for what you want to do. But all these fish will put out massive waste. So that's a good thing.

I understand you wanna upgrade but I myself don't like to recommend stocking for "future" tanks and like to stick to what's available. So that's why I listed for your current tank.

The fish you want could work for a short time in that tank however in a short few months as they start to mature eventually problems WILL happen with these fish.

Good luck on the tank and welcome to the "good side" ;)

Okay, so parrots can't stay/ have to move to another tank. As well as the heavy filtration I do a PWC of about 15-20% every 5-6 days. I had a max stocked community tank, but with my maintenance schedule ended up keeping the ammonia, nitrites at 0 and nitrates were always stable; water has always been crystal clear. So I don't *think* bad water quality, even with large dish down the road would be an issue, but I want to minimize aggression. The numbers of fish are:

2 blood parrots
2 salvinis
1 JD
2 firemouths

As already mentioned the blood parrots will need to go as they have no chance in the long run against the JD. I have never had Salvini's before so don't know how aggressive they get but I hear they can be pretty fesity.

My JD is also a juvenile, about 6" now. I have him in a 63 gallon with a Green Terror. He chases the GT a lot and did beat him up once, the GT stays away from him now.

You need to make sure you have a cave for the JD which they can claim and they are quite shy so like to hide out in them, I use a clay flower pot. I would keep your temperature at the lowest as well to help curb the aggression of the JD. Not sure what temperature requirements are for the Salvini and Firemouth are though but you want to keep it at the lowest end of the scale.

You also asked about Angelfish. They have no chance in a tank with your current fish. Silver Dollars would be OK though as they are fast enough to get away.

Okay, so parrots can't stay/ have to move to another tank. As well as the heavy filtration I do a PWC of about 15-20% every 5-6 days. I had a max stocked community tank, but with my maintenance schedule ended up keeping the ammonia, nitrites at 0 and nitrates were always stable; water has always been crystal clear. So I don't *think* bad water quality, even with large dish down the road would be an issue, but I want to minimize aggression. The numbers of fish are:

2 blood parrots
2 salvinis
1 JD
2 firemouths

I think you would be better off changing about 50% of the water during your changes, particularly went the fish get larger.

Even with the BP's removed, I still think your going to have major aggression issues with the salvinis in particular. The problem is that 60 gallon has very little depth and these fish are extremely territorial. I would consider removing 1 or both of the salvinis. The 2 firemouths and JD are more likely to succeed in the long run. I'd stick with them and add some small schooling fish.

Those are small water changes.

You'll find with SA's 50% water changes every 3-4 days tends to become the norm within 6 months, especially with your stocking.

Back
Top Bottom