Tips on cleaning gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRiley774

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to hear everyone's tips on how to clean gravel in a freshwater tank. I'm all ears!

A gravel vacuum works wonders. There are some siphon models and some that are battery operated. Amazon has a lot of great options!

Yep a gravel vac works great! Lots of people with larger tanks like to use water changers also.

Yup gravel vac is a must with your aquarium. Vac the gravel really well every time you do your weekly water change or changes depending on your tank size and stocking.

Once you get the vac I currently have the Aqueon 25' vac for my 29g but I've owned Pythons as well. What I do is make sure I plunge my hose deep in the gravel and vigorously stir the gravel bed. You won't believe the amount of waste that accumulates between the cracks: D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cleaning Gravel

Just wanted to hear everyone's tips on how to clean gravel in a freshwater tank. I'm all ears!

Hello RR...

I have a well planted tank, so I don't ever clean the gravel. The dead plant and fish material (mulm or detritus) dissolves in the tank water and nourishes the plants. If you have no plants, then you need to use a water change syphon and push the open end into the gravel to vacuum up and remove that material. If you don't then this dissolved waste will foul the tank water.

B

+1 on the stirring. It's absolutely shocking how messy it can get in just a week. I often 'spot vac' in between water changes.

Back
Top Bottom