Tips on everything...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
In reading all the threads, there have been all kinds of special tips on how to have a successful tank. I thought it would be great to share your tips so others can have success too!

Mine is: Tubeflex squares. To feed the middle eaters or bottom eaters, take the cube to what level you want in the inside. Press it onto the side of the glass until all the bubbles come out of the square. It sticks to the glass and allows the fish to eat it! It really works! My ram sits and waits till I do it!!

Please share! :lol:

I syphon old tank water into my flower garden outside the front door using a 50 ft Python. (The idea of draining dirty fish water into the kitchen or bathroom sink kinda grossed me out.) A regular gravel syphon would work, just buy however much you need of the clear hose at a hardware store for .25/ft.

My tulips and roses really like the fertilizer. ;) :)

Cheap helpers;
1. cut 4 ft. long 1/2" hardwood dowel rod from hardware store($2.00) into 2 2ft. pieces.
Whittle or grind one with a V -notch in one end. Do the other piece with a wedge shaped end(like a flat head screw driver shape) on its end. Now you have cheap planting sticks.
2. go to drug store(mine was Walgreens) buy a dosing eyedropper($2.00) that is marked up to 1 tsp on one side and marked 1ml to 5 ml on the other. Great for dosing all your ferts and chemicals without having to squint & guess at the marks on the caps.
3. get a new turkey baster bulb a wal mart for $2.50) instead of a "Betta" bulb from LFS for $6. Same thing. Great for blending water in new fish bags or filling HOB filters after cleaning. Come on folks, let's have your tricks and tips! LOL OS.

Cheap helpers;
1. cut 4 ft. long 1/2" hardwood dowel rod from hardware store($2.00) into 2 2ft. pieces.
Whittle or grind one with a V -notch in one end. Do the other piece with a wedge shaped end(like a flat head screw driver shape) on its end. Now you have cheap planting sticks.
2. go to drug store(mine was Walgreens) buy a dosing eyedropper($2.00) that is marked up to 1 tsp on one side and marked 1ml to 5 ml on the other. Great for dosing all your ferts and chemicals without having to squint & guess at the marks on the caps.
3. get a new turkey baster bulb a wal mart for $2.50) instead of a "Betta" bulb from LFS for $6. Same thing. Great for blending water in new fish bags or filling HOB filters after cleaning. Come on folks, let's have your tricks and tips! LOL OS.

Excellent ideas!! I am writing them down as they come in!! I like #1 idea the best!! Hubby has a job! lol

In reading all the threads, there have been all kinds of special tips on how to have a successful tank. I thought it would be great to share your tips so others can have success too!

Mine is: Tubeflex squares. To feed the middle eaters or bottom eaters, take the cube to what level you want in the inside. Press it onto the side of the glass until all the bubbles come out of the square. It sticks to the glass and allows the fish to eat it! It really works! My ram sits and waits till I do it!!

Please share! :lol:

Wow! That's great! I'm gonna try it next time I go to my LFS ill have to pick some up!

Chopsticks: to move/ remove larger stones, decor, dying leaves and stir up the chum before a partial water change. For smaller items, a clean unused pair from take-out (free!); for larger items, found a pair of large chopsticks used for wok cooking ($2-5); go for wood, the plastic ones are a bit slippery. Even helps in unsticking snails from the glass.

Water changes and cleaning filter and decorè with tank water only so no beneficial bacteria die in the process.

Buy a remote control extension lead. I have all my stuff on it, heater, filter, pumps etc. No more reaching behind the tank to disconnect your gear and the same to reconnect it. Everything on/off with a press of a button!!!....

Buy a bulk pack of filter media (Petsmart, Petco). A bag of it is about $3-$4. Has many uses and can last you over a year. Just cut out a piece using your HOB filter insert as a guide. It will be about 25 cents worth compared to $2 each for ready made inserts and is actually thicker and filters better than the Aqueon inserts. If you want act. charcoal, buy it in bulk(also cheaper) and put in mesh bag.
Also it's a good material to make a neat little cleaner pad to go on your magnet glass cleaner that's better than the thin stuff that it has on it.
You can cut a piece, spread it apart in the middle and put around your filter intake tube to keep babies from getting sucked into it.
Luck, OS.

Buy a bulk pack of filter media (Petsmart, Petco). A bag of it is about $3-$4. Has many uses and can last you over a year. Just cut out a piece using your HOB filter insert as a guide. It will be about 25 cents worth compared to $2 each for ready made inserts and is actually thicker and filters better than the Aqueon inserts. If you want act. charcoal, buy it in bulk(also cheaper) and put in mesh bag.
Also it's a good material to make a neat little cleaner pad to go on your magnet glass cleaner that's better than the thin stuff that it has on it.
You can cut a piece, spread it apart in the middle and put around your filter intake tube to keep babies from getting sucked into it.
Luck, OS.

These bags - do they come with ties? Can you use twist ties?

Luck, OS.

That's a great idea!! I love it! Not 1 use but more! Nice! Thanks for sharing!

If you have a 'floating' breeder box, large plastic box or DIY trap that you would like to use as a breeder box. Secure it to the side wall with your algae magnets....

Luck, OS.

I just bought some!!

I syphon old tank water into my flower garden outside the front door using a 50 ft Python. (The idea of draining dirty fish water into the kitchen or bathroom sink kinda grossed me out.) A regular gravel syphon would work, just buy however much you need of the clear hose at a hardware store for .25/ft.

My tulips and roses really like the fertilizer. ;) :)

Epic idea!! I'm glad I put my tank near a window lol now once my fish are in it and come water change time or gravel clean time it will be easier!!

Back
Top Bottom