Tips on growing eleocharis parvula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there have done research on this plant and have read its an easy to grow plant doesn't require much light and little to no co2

Which is basically my setup so would it still be able to grow and not die?

For substrate I have gravel and I put diy root tabs and will be starting to dose all in one fert once i receive the plants

I was wondering if are any tips of plant and growing this plant and any experience people have had with this plant

Thanks

Edit: scrap that it's a fancy name for dwarf hair grass. Mildly easy to grow but it still loves co2. You'll find it will be a slow grower and won't spread much without co2. Make sure u trim it regularly to encourage it to spread :) it's best to plant it in small plots an inch apart rather than in 1 big clump.

I've heard that this is an extremely hard plant to grow and is massively co2 dependent. A lot of people with high light and pressurised co2 have failed to grow it. Easiest way to grow it would be a plants only tank with 50ppm of co2 and 50+ par at substrate I'd say.

Interested to see how u go with it :)

That's if it is the plant I'm thinking of. It's like a really really fine grass isn't it? Finer than hairgrass?

I think it's the one your talking about i will send some pictures once I have it plant

But that is so weird I researched before buying the plant and nearly all of the website have said it's a low light plant with little to no co2 needed

Makes no sense!

Hopefully it grows in my tank as I really like the look of it!

Are there any other easy to grow carpeting plants like this?

Thanks

I think it's the one your talking about i will send some pictures once I have it plant

But that is so weird I researched before buying the plant and nearly all of the website have said it's a low light plant with little to no co2 needed

Makes no sense!

Hopefully it grows in my tank as I really like the look of it!

Are there any other easy to grow carpeting plants like this?

Thanks

Edited my post from before, wasn't the plant I was thinking of. Crypt parva is a low light carpet plant and makes a nice carpet when it's all grown out. Doesn't have the grass look but still a nice addition to a low tech tank :)

Hi sorry just saw it! If I trim it before planting would that encourage it to spread?
It's just arrived just need to get it planted! I've tried to separate it as much as possible but there are some that are a bit thicker than others would that make a difference?
I'm really excited to see how it looks! I really hope it grows as I like the look of the grassy effect

Is there any other good carpeting plants out there that are easy to grow?

Thanks

Hi sorry just saw it! If I trim it before planting would that encourage it to spread?
It's just arrived just need to get it planted! I've tried to separate it as much as possible but there are some that are a bit thicker than others would that make a difference?
I'm really excited to see how it looks! I really hope it grows as I like the look of the grassy effect

Is there any other good carpeting plants out there that are easy to grow?

Thanks

I'd let it settle in for 2 weeks before u trim it. All good if some are bigger than others, plant it in an inch by inch grid pattern and it should spread in nicely. The smaller the bunches the better! :)

Ok that's fine thanks! I've planted them it's not very dense as there were very small clumps!
I was wondering if I started dosing leaf zone every week would that help?

And as for my lighting is it enough it's 2 x 30 watts daylight deluxe bulbs I think they are t8s

Ok that's fine thanks! I've planted them it's not very dense as there were very small clumps!
I was wondering if I started dosing leaf zone every week would that help?

And as for my lighting is it enough it's 2 x 30 watts daylight deluxe bulbs I think they are t8s

Should be fine for lighting and yea u want to dose leaf zone to recommended on the bottle :) some seachem excel wouldn't hurt either :)

Thanks i'll defo try that I need to do a water change and after i'll start with the leaf zone! I do have easycarbo. But if I started using that would I have to adjust my leaf zone dosage?

Also this might be a stupid question but is there a filter media which can convert nitrates in to nitrogen again or something plants can reuse?

Thanks i'll defo try that I need to do a water change and after i'll start with the leaf zone! I do have easycarbo. But if I started using that would I have to adjust my leaf zone dosage?

Also this might be a stupid question but is there a filter media which can convert nitrates in to nitrogen again or something plants can reuse?

Nah no need to ajust the dosage untill things start filling in. You'll know when u need more because the plants will start to struggle and growth will slow down.

Nitrates are basically nitrogen (a certain %)that's why plants will actually bring down nitrates.

And no sorry there is no media that can get rid of nitrates, that's why we need to water change :) u want to keep nitrates around 10 and water change once it gets over 40. Keep your dosing consistent (same day and before lights on if possible) and u should be fine [emoji106]

Ok thanks! So I worked out I need to add around 25ml of leaf zone a week but as for the easycarbo I'm not sure how much I need to add as it's based on how heavily planted it is

ATM I have 4 Amazon swords 2 small vals and water wisteria and the dwarf hair grass so how much do I need to add daily?

Ok thanks for that I knew it was a stupid question [emoji23]

Becarful with the easy carbo if it has glut in it. It can melt your vals. I'd start off low and work your way up

Yeah I've read up on that I'm thinking of moving my vals into another tank

So how much would I need to start dosing from the off?

Just dose for lightly planted that should be enough for now :) it's just a booster while they bed in and untill your tank balances out.

so would around 10mls for a 200 L tank would be fine?

I'm not familiar with the product so I couldn't say but if that's what the bottle recommends then that would be fine is say. Caliban07 has used it before and might be further help, I used to use excel.

ok no worries let see what he has to say

also i was thinking of getting into dry ferts dosing and was having a look on ebay and seeing as my tank is a low tech tank its 200L medium ish planted and dont really use co2 what would you say i would need to go for?

fertilizer,EI,Estimative Index,micro,plant food,aquarium | eBay

fertilizer,plant food,micro element,aquarium,micro nutriens,symphony gold | eBay

fertilizer,plant food,micro element,aquarium,micro nutriens, | eBay

fertilizer,plant food,micro element,aquarium,micro nutriens,symphony gold | eBay

just really want to get a fertiliser that works for me and is cheapish as i have tried so many but doesnt really seem to work for me

Back
Top Bottom