to BIG of filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ian thank u sooo very much! Thank all of you. I will make the change:)

I recently switched to a sand substrate and absolutely love it. I don't personally like the look of brown play sand so instead I use black blasting sand and a white silica sand in my tanks. Both are cheap and effective.

If you want to switch to sand just pull your fish out after washing the sand really really well. When you add the sand there will he some clouding no matter how well you wash it. After adding the sand just do a few total water changes to get rid of the cloudiness quickly to get your fish back in.

If you are worried about too much water flow I would suggest sticking a plant in the stream of water from the filter to break the flow up. I currently have 150g of filtration capacity on my 55g tank, you can't really overfilter something without a ton of effort.

Ian thank u sooo very much! Thank all of you. I will make the change:)
Your Welcome!!!. Best to do it now before you cycle and then having to go stripping all the gravel out. Remember to wash, wash, wash the sand and when you think it's clean, wash it again!!!!..... Ian

TIP... When adding your water after the change or refilling after your PWC, place a plate or bowl(securely) in the tank and pour the new water on it. It will stop any turbulence-->clouding.....

Ian! Since the water thing was sooo critical I dumped my whole tank.... except for the water in the filter. I left that alone. Along with both cartidges of my filter. I took out allll my gravel power washing it in a bucket with a garden hose out in my backyard. (Tornadoes are excepted in my area so I was also keeping an eye on the sky lol. So far so good I continue to be tornado free) that alone took me 3 hours!!!!I ended up putting mmooossstttt of it back in my tank as I already have it and wanted to try it one more time before I rush out and drop out more money... I added water keeping an eye on my thermostat I filled the tank... success! !!!! Tank clear. Temp good and I just transfered my 4 platys back. My lone neon tetra did not make it. I want to thank you and everyone for your help! My water is clear! I know that I pretty much started over but im hoping that with the media built up in my filter and the fact that I am not doing an overkill on fish in cycle with 7 very nasty paltys (as I did before) things well go well this time. I am absolutely heart broken over my neon tetra not making it. Though I dont listen to Beyoncé I couldnt help but smile and think of that song everytime I saw her. Smiling. She was a survivor. I guess the stress of moving to another tank and then back was to much. :'( . So hear we go.. oh and in case your wondering I started off with 7 platys and now only have 4 in my tank? Yeah I gave my son 3 and he likes them. And ia a good fish keeper. I hope to some day transfer to sand... I really do. Thanks again for all your help!!!

I'm glad that things are working out for you now, and am sad to hear about your tetra not making it. I remember the first time I had to euthanize one of my fish and that was definitely not a good night for me.

Thank you. Out of a batch of 6 she was the one survivor. She was special. My kids are making fun of how hard im taking this one.

Sorry to hear about your neon. They are not the hardiest of fish but are beautiful little fish. Sounds like your on the right path now. If you can get some filter floss into your filter, you should. Very cheap and VERY effective. Will keep your water nice and clear. Good luck with it and if ya need anything, just give me a shout... Ian

If you have gravel you might be okay to keep the fish in there. Alot of beneficial bacteria is in the substrate yet. Don't vac it. If you can run your old filter for awhile with the new one. Or if possibly..take the old media and put it behind the current media.

*Edit: nevermind this post..I was reading on the wrong page and posted.

Back
Top Bottom