To De-rim, or not to de-rim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bough an old tank probable about as old as me 25 years old. The rim is pretty much shot in terms of cracked and i can lift the entire thing off in one piece. I'm currently in the process of resealing it. The bottom silicone is still in great shape but I have removed all the vertical corner silicon. Before removing the silicone is held every drop of water for 48 hrs.

Here is what it looks like.
I bought it as a 39 gallon tank.

The center brace doesn't seem to bare anything as it has tons of flex if moved. I was thinking if needed (on safe side) silicon a 3" wide 1/4" acrylic support piece in its place just glass to acrylic.

img_2149948_0_1bd275382bf614359175a58a8b035b60.jpg

img_2149948_1_abf7659d99a99769cb8226441a8b7ad3.jpg

img_2149948_2_344d4040004d1a44ddcf96a86aa17b4b.jpg

This is my idea of what to do if it will work.

img_2150322_0_e03c4020b21fd24684087dfc6a642b2b.png

Also will silicone not only where it sits on the glass but underneath in the horizontal seam it has created.

What are the dimensions of that tank? Looks like a 55g to me. 30g and under tend not to have braces.

If you're resealing the silicone I suggest removing all the silicone and resealing with all new silicone. Also, bracing glass with acrylic strips like that is asking for trouble. You really do need the brace going around the tank. Bonding acrylic and glass with silicone doesn't tend to be structurally sounds.

If you can't find a replacement brace for the tank dimensions, I'd suggest creating a new brace using aluminium corner strips (cheap and found at home depot\lowes). You can use a hacksaw to cut through half of the corner bracing and fold it around itself to create a rectangular shape. To secure everything you can use rivets at the corners. Here a pic of a corner of my 125g bracing where I used the same method.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 200
Hmmm I guess i'd have to see a bigger picture of what your talking about. I think I know but not sure. It's like the length of my 40b but not as wide. I also got a 55gal of the same person both these for $40 total. I really want to derim it or make it as minimalistic as possible.

I can just leave it on there if need be but not sure if the trim cracking in spots is just as bad as not having a rim on at all.

(rough measurment) 36L x 12W x 18H
Let me go try and find a tape measure.

Ok if you take the rim off so its seems edges and you can see the wave or current(which ever the case) glue a thin border to the top only about 2inches cause its a pain to clean with out it I'm speaking first hand and also snails like to climb up and fall out with out the lip

Finished putting on brace on going to do the next tomorrow and do a week long water test.

Back
Top Bottom