To plant or not to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackwood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I always assumed that a planted tank would be much less maintenance than a non-planted tank because of the plants doing most of the filtering.

I had a 115 gallon show tank with crushed coral gravel two Fluval 303's filtering it. I would routinely go 2-3 months between filter cleanings/water changes, and rarely lost fish. If I was going to buy new fish, I would just do a filter change and a 20% water change and everything would survive.

I gave that tank to a friend of mine and she hasn't done a water or filter change in over a year (yes, I know, extrememly bad idea), but 90% of the fish are still alive in it.

The 4 years I had it, and the 1 1/2 years she's had it, I would have to clean the algae off the glass about every 6 months or so, and it was barely noticable then.

When I gave her that tank, I bought a 125 tank (wide instead of tall like the 115) and made it a live plant tank. It's been MUCH harder to take care of. I can't seem to keep fish alive in it and the algae is insane (see http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=78107 ).

Going by past experience, the fish only tank was much easier to deal with. Is a planted tank really that much more maintenance?

Blackwood

One of the following is usually true in a planted aquarium:
A) You have a situation for ideal plant growth, and you have to trim the plants regularly.
B) You have a situation for ideal algae growth, and you have to fight the algae.
C) You have a situation for no growth and all the plants die, clogging up your filter and spiking your ammonia levels.

So, yes, a planted aquarium is more work. I find it more enjoyable, though. It is an interesting challange.

That said, if I do a major trim-back, I can afterwards go a month without doing maintenance. I have a forest to mow at the end of the month though.

A high light tank is definately going to be more work, a low light tank on the other hand may be less work. You might want to check out Steve Hampton's article on Low Light Low Tech tanks.

with a high light planted tank, you trade maintenance over testing ammonia and nitrites for testing nitrate and phosphate, CO2 levels, and dosing fertilizers appropriately.

a planted tank is more work, especially a high light tank. but a planted tank should never make you more prone to unexplainable fish losses.

It sounds like the suggestions made to decrease your lighting would best match what you're looking for.

I had initially planned to have lustrous plants and have been looking into changing the lighting in my tanks to get into the med-high light range - but my plants (anacharis, java ferns, java moss) have been growing at a steady, slow rate with the low lighting that I have...and they are creating enough greenery that I can enjoy my "planted tank" without doing much maintenance. I add ferts a few times each week, trim down some anacharis during each weekly water change, and that's about it.

With low lights and low-light plants, then there's no requirement to use CO2 or overly complicated fertilizer regimens - plus, the growth won't be so rampant as to require lots of trimming and re-scaping.

I hope you don't decide to nix all of the live plants. :)

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom