To stir or not to stir?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLain75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Ok, so we have had both of our tanks going now for almost a year (predator 55g a little longer than the 180g DT). Both have DSB's, which we read not to disturb the beds because this could release poisonous whatever's into the water. HOWEVER, last night on Vivid Aquarium Mr. McLain75 found that if you do it keeps the SB clean.....
Me, I'm a little more hesitant to even try to disturb it, even if it's little bits at a time. :banghead:

What is your guy's thoughts on this???????

~Mrs. McLain75~

Under no circumstances should you stir your sand. You will release stuff in your tank that your beneficial bacteria can not handle.

I stir all the time. I find that if you do just the surface, one section a night, your BB will be able to handle it. I've been doing it for awhile and all is well. At first I was nervous because of what everyone always says, but I have seen no ill effects because of it. I know that my LFS owner, before his monthly water changes, does a quick stir and then a water change. I have never seen an algae outbreak or anything bad come cause of it. He doesn't even run a skimmer, or a sump/refugium. Just simple filters. I won't advise you to do it, because I don't want to be blamed for anything that could happen, but I just thought that I'd share that I do it regularly and my reef is thriving.

Back
Top Bottom