toadstool leather sick help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had this toadstool for a long time it was one of my first corals a while back i lost a torch my frogspawn is doing fine but my toadstool in the past month has gained yellow spots and is not opening all the way in the past month barley opening now today i noticed a decayed spot around the edge and it fell off i have it in a bag floating right now in my 55 again it has better quality i had moved it to 29 as i thought the angel might be bothering it but it has to go back to the 55 now the quality is poor in the 29 i have it flating and added anti bacterial fish remedy to the bag to try and salvage it was this a good or bad idea its a liquid aloe type from walmart mike said before i could use it on corals but would never add it to the tank itself.... will it help wat is this disease?

i will try as soon as its back in the tank if i have time but i dont know i dont touch my light timer and its set to go off soon i will try to get a pic tomorow morning if not tonight but i can give details now its closed up tight drawed up tight its got yellow spots its had before now off and on now its worse and its not letting its tenticals out but barley half and inch now today some of it crumbled off not much just a crumb picee
glad ya found it tc

Now, leather corals form a slime coating every once in awhile. It's their way of cleaning themselfs off. Let's hope it's just that. How bad was the water in the 29g and what is the readings in the 55g?

This slime coat makes the leather look like it's dying. This can go on for a few days and when it comes off the leather has a bright new look.

i have seen it shed before i have had it over a year and this is the first time its done this zoas live fine in the 29 gal i dont have anything to test my quality at the moment its not shedding its been not open enough for a month at least i will try to post pics tonight around one or two am when i get home

ok i couldnt get a pic camera is broke again at the time i need it most but more news after it was back in 55 it opened up a little not much but better looking than before then this morning when lights came on he wouldnt open and i noticed the decayin black/ brown spots around the edges again so i inspected closer by rubbing those spots gently and they just broke off and crunbled and that area ozed a little i noticed it was only around the edges and not even half a inch in but i think it was getting worse and spreading so i took it out of tank in a bowl of tank water took it out on to the porch in the light and i trimied the edges of the coral all the way around it trying to get rid of the bad infected looking spots and leave good looking coral... was this the way to go o have i screwed up bad? some of the top of the coral still has that yellow looking texture on it but on the bottom of the coral its all around it i have seen this on it before and it went away or moved to a diff spot and the tenicals come out were it is still and you dont notice it then... i am trying to give the most descriptive info i can since i cant give a good enough pic....

Here is a post by Anthony Calfo "For starters, the lack of polyp extension in most Alcyoniids is generally no big deal. Most feed very little organismally to need polpys extended (they derive nutrition instead from symbiosis and feeding by absorbtion). It is not uncommon for some speciemens to go several months without extending polpys although a year is unusual.

Stronger current if random turbulent or surge like may incite polpy cycles, but not always.

I would have to agree that your Ca/ALK dynamic is skewed but don't think is has much if any bearing on the case here. Still, watch closely and do not let the ALK go any lower or the Ca much higher. You are definately on the splayed ends. You could indeed just do some water changes and back of the supplements except for buffer until Ca and ALk get more balanced and then simply resume the 2-part mix. Remember that you may not need extra buffer or Ca when dosing the balanced two part mixes. However, they will not correct an imbabalance either... you must begin with balanced levels and let the mix carry on.

Joe W makes an especially good point about not moving any coral around much. It is very stressful to do so. They simply need to be put in place and left to adapt.

You could experiment slowly with Iodine to see if the leather responds to higher RedoX levels fascilitated by small daily doses of it.

Another source of irritation to leather is microbubbles... any concerns here with that?

Under PC lighting, I would hope that this coral is in the top 12" of the tank and receives moderate to strong water flow.

Hmmm... I regret that I haven't been able to add much to the thread. Please do let us know how it pans out.

Best regards, Anthony

Anthony Calfo
www.readingtrees.com "

See if you can glean any useful information out of it.

Last edited:
I think you did the correct thing by cutting off the nicrotic parts of the coral. You may also want to frag off a very healthy section of it and kind of make a "spare" leather incase you lose the main unit.

yea i have read that before during my googleing of my problem tc i did find some useful things out of it i am at the library now i will let ya know its condition when i get home but i dont think i will see any change as most corals will not open up for a while after being cut like i did this one..

can a leather get brown jelly? i believe thats wat my torch died off very recently could he have got it.... also tc i just noticed another toadstool a very small one no bigger than my thumb is also closed up but not decaying and getting yellow spots like my big one... any thoughts on that.....

I was looking at some cabbage leathers and they are brown with yellow spots so I am not sure.
As far as brown jelly I'm not sure. I read that sometimes our water can be to cold. But most of us right now are battling high temps.lol

OK sorry TC and DD I`ve been camping the last several days. First what are your water parameters? Secondly I have had pretty good results with leathers doing Iodine dips. Get about a gallon bowl and fill it up with tank water. Get some Kents iodine and put a cap or two in the water and stir pretty good. Place the leather in there for about 15-20 minutes. Then put the leather back in the tank. In about 2 or three days I would do it again. Whether it gets OK again will depend on whether we waited to long or not. I wish I could have seen this earlier but there is no service in the mountains. Like I`ve said I`ve had pretty good luck with iodine dips on leathers. Good Luck.

i will be testing the levels again tomorow but today everything checked ok the nitrated were a little high and so was my ammonia which is odd its always been low i will take another test either in the morning or late tonight and give you exact numbers i do not have any iodine right now and cant get any till tuesday.....he looks better right now i just got home from my gf house the lights were off and his color is looking better and he has opend a little more than he has in the past month...... mike do you think i did right but cutting him today? i think thincat said he thought so i just want everyones oppinion on that.....

ok guys i cant find my test suplies i will leave early for work tomorow and have lfs test it for me were i will be buying a bucket of salt and some iodine to do wat mike said to do it was open this morning then closed i see a spot i may have missed or it may have came up over night i will cut it tomorow night when i get home from work at the same time do the iodine dip all at the same time cut and dip.... is that wat you would do?

DD, I think Mike just wants you to do the dip. You may not have to cut any more off the leather coral at this time.

no problem i will be doing the dip at ten pm tomorrow i live a hour from town and cant get to the pet store for iodine till tomorrow the petco next door to my work sells kent products i will get a bottle of that when i get my bucket of salt so thats no problem he is looking ok right now no worse no better the yellow spots were gone earlier but came back i will be setting up the 125 soon so as soon as its cycled i will remove all the fish except the clowns from the 55 reef were the leather is to try to cut back on nitrates in it......

ok i called petco they have the iodine i will get it tomorrow with petco salt they sell for $40 FOR A 150 GAL BUCKET but i got back on to tell ya something odd the leather is open right now only on the side it was cut the most on the sicker side of him its like a complete straigt line across him that open its not a full open just as much as he has been this month its the side closer to the front of tank even..... could this be a current problem on this or another part of his illness? or both?

Back
Top Bottom