Todays Lesson #2 - Snails climb airline tube to escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the past two days I've been finding snails on the floor around the tank (2 yesterday , 1 today). Thankfully I got to them before they desicated and thankfully none of them had any broken shells !

The little sneakies have been climbing the airline tube and making their way through the small cutout (1/2" sq) that I put in the back of my versa top for both the airline tube and the heater cord.

Its now plugged with some filter floss ....

My aquatic friends have gone NUTS - between the divider jumping betta and the escaping snails I'm bound to have a heart attack today !

8O

What kind of snails? That way I'll know not to get any of them.

I had my 60 gallon with an open top and none of my snails ever climbed out.

-----

duh :oops:

It's right in your sig.

LOL - I love my mystery snails - I just didn't think they'd actually climb fully OUT of the tank. I figured once they hit the water line they'd turn around .... WRONG !
The worst one was when I was standing right near the tank when it happened - I heard that POP and just couldn't imagine what it might be, then I looked on the floor and there he was.
All escape routes (except for the cutout for the HOB filter) are stuffed up with filter floss now. I have a funny feeling the HOB filter cutout is next !

o_O Can you tell your snails to Email my snails?

I want the little buggers to feel free to climb right out whenever they feel like it.

=p

Funny I just saw this post. I was working on my CO2 bottle last night and noticed my HOB waterfall was V shaped instead of the normal waterfall. Sometimes bacteria builds up in little clumps that affects the flow but this time there was a small common snail climbing UP the plastic right through the rushing current and cleaning the bacteria from the plastic. I have found snails in my filter before, and they are in the tank, but never expected one to be able to get to the waterfall part of the filter!

Back
Top Bottom