Tomini bullying blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwizard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, my tomini tang is bullying my starry blenny, every time the tang sees him he shoots after him, he hasn't caused any harm to the blenny as I think he's too clever for the tang but I'd like to see the blenny out and about being himself. Anything I can do to stop the tang from acting like a douche? I moved the few rocks i can but no difference. Any advice?

With fresh water fish rearranging the environment can work. With saltwater they seam to have a better long term memory. You could try what the wife calls "net the bully". Where you become the bigger bully by chasing the bad guy with a net. Better would removing the bully for at least a week and rearranging the tank. Good luck!

ezy33 said:
With fresh water fish rearranging the environment can work. With saltwater they seam to have a better long term memory. You could try what the wife calls "net the bully". Where you become the bigger bully by chasing the bad guy with a net. Better would removing the bully for at least a week and rearranging the tank. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, I'm gonna give it a try and hopefully he'll know how it feels to be bullied and stop haha

Chasing your fish around can cause uneeded stress. Also moving your rocks around all the time wil stress the blenny as they usually have their own 'home'. Moving the rocks moves their home!

I suggest leaving the rocks alone and keeping a close eye on them. Your tang should calm down eventually. Blennies are notorious hiders especially when they feel threatened. Keep in mind they are incredible hiders and your tang has almost no chance of hurting it when he's hiding.

Make sure you are making enough food available to all species. Clip some nori for your tang and give your blenny some mysis shrimp. The nori will help distract your tang.

stress

Chasing your fish around can cause uneeded stress. Also moving your rocks around all the time wil stress the blenny as they usually have their own 'home'. Moving the rocks moves their home!

I suggest leaving the rocks alone and keeping a close eye on them. Your tang should calm down eventually. Blennies are notorious hiders especially when they feel threatened. Keep in mind they are incredible hiders and your tang has almost no chance of hurting it when he's hiding.

Make sure you are making enough food available to all species. Clip some nori for your tang and give your blenny some mysis shrimp. The nori will help distract your tang.

IME If you have a persistent bully then your tank already has high levels of stress. Not intervening usually leads to loss of the fish under attack.

Using garlic on their food will help boost their immune systems. I've had good luck avoiding ICH using Kent's Garlic Extreme.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't actually had time yo do anything about the bullying but been watching the tank this weekend and the tang seems to have calmed down abit, the blenny has been out resting on rocks in full view of the tang and he doesn't respond to him, we'll not all the time anyway chases him Now and again but not as bad as it was.

Back
Top Bottom