Tommy's 1st attempt at a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I'm going to keep this thread as a journal of my first planted tank...

I had a spare 15 gallon tank lying around with an internal filter and heater just begging me to do something with it.

Today I got some miracle gro organic choice and took the plunge.

If anybody spots some terrible mistakes I'm making, or ways to improve my set up please let me know, as I'm new to this.

Fist of all here is a pic of the empty tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618258.213314.jpg

Next I added approx 1.5 inches of miracle grow
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618320.677257.jpg

And capped with about 1.5 inches of gravel, I don't like the gravel colours but it was all I had
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618419.416702.jpg

Fist of all here is a pic of the empty tank Next I added approx 1.5 inches of miracle grow And capped with about 1.5 inches of gravel, I don't like the gravel colours but it was all I had
I'd say if you don't like the gravel now change it! It's only going to be 10x harder when it's planted.. I'd personally pick out the red pebbles and call it done! You can always add a snail bag if black gravel over it later.. Also you want to consider planting before cap and flood..

I then added some driftwood and rocks to the tank, and a few tiny plant clippings from my other tank
Bear with me aquascaping does not come natural to me. I can't decide whether I like it or hate it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618624.975222.jpg

And then came the flood
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618724.669368.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618767.651604.jpg
Then added a bit of pothos I had in an old set up, I put the filter running with just some filter floss to clear the water and turned on the heater
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395618877.732901.jpg

+1 ^^^

Might as well do it right if your gonna do it instead of regretting it later and having to change it.

I'd say if you don't like the gravel now change it! It's only going to be 10x harder when it's planted.. I'd personally pick out the red pebbles and call it done! You can always add a snail bag if black gravel over it later.. Also you want to consider planting before cap and flood..

Hi brookster123, that's my problem I charge in, no patients whatsoever. I have it flooded now but hopefully I'll get to lfs during the week for some plants and do a massive water change and get them in then.

+1 ^^^

Might as well do it right if your gonna do it instead of regretting it later and having to change it.

Fair point jhawk. The gravel might grow on me once the red is gone. There ain't that much in it to pick out !!

Still trying to decide whether I like the rock and driftwood layout

Any suggestions for plants. I want to keep the tank fairly low tech and inexpensive. Getting married in 6 weeks so I need to keep spending down.
I was thinking of trying a homemade carbon reactor I saw on YouTube with yeast. Are they worth while or a waste of time?

Any suggestions for plants. I want to keep the tank fairly low tech and inexpensive. Getting married in 6 weeks so I need to keep spending down. I was thinking of trying a homemade carbon reactor I saw on YouTube with yeast. Are they worth while or a waste of time?
go crypts! Than some anubias tied off to your center pile. I think for a low light setup stick to flourish and glut.. I'm guessing at this point keeping it simple to start will be best?? You can always ramp it up later..
Edit- root tabs for crypts too..

Last edited:
go crypts! Than some anubias tied off to your center pile. I think for a low light setup stick to flourish and glut.. I'm guessing at this point keeping it simple to start will be best?? You can always ramp it up later..
Edit- root tabs for crypts too..

Thanks brookster

Hi fisheggs.

At the minute I have a 18 watt t5

Is this enough. Or should I attach a few clip on's

Hi fisheggs.

At the minute I have a 18 watt t5

Is this enough. Or should I attach a few clip on's

If you just use low light plants it should be ok. I would try to find a 6700k tube (or about that, 6500k seems more common) to ensure that the plants are getting light they can use. If you use the wrong light tube it will help grow algae. I would think you can get low to low-medium lighting over a fairly shallow tank with that. If your plants are not doing well with it then i'd maybe try a clip on a little bit later.

I think you also asked about DIY CO2 as well. It is reasonably easy to set up, cheap and it helped my plants out a lot when i got it running.

18 watts should be plenty for lower light plants but you need a daylight spectrum bulb so the plants can use the light. Regular bulbs like the one that probably came with the light fixture are not the right spectrum of light for plants. They are just used to illuminate the tank to see the fish. Look for the Kelvin rating of 5000k to 10000k.
With low light plants cO2 is not needed. once you get into medium to high light then it becomes useful or needed.
To prevent algae growth you need to balance the Light, Nutrients and CO2. This is easier to do in low light situations.

Just an update.

I got my plants in and changed the light. I have a 25 watt 10000k tube over the tank and started dosing liquid carbon.
I changed the hard scape to make room for some more plants
The tank seems to be settling well

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396949498.824074.jpg

Back
Top Bottom