Too late for maracyn-2? (fin rot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Once fin rot has reached the body is it too late?

I thought the fin was looking a little ragged on one of my loaches, but when I looked up fin-rot it said it was accompanied by a white fungusy thing, but apparently thats wrong, as today I looked at her and theres white stuff all around the base of her dorsal fin and the scales are reddish (inflamed).

One of the other loaches seems to have the startings of it, so I was still going to treat with the maracyn, but I was wondering how much of a chance the female has?

Ammonia and nitrites are zero, could the cause be a possible other infection they have been fighting? (another fish was sick in the last week that I qt'd)

TIA!

I would still try and medicate. Qt if you can, and start the mayacyn right away. I would also get the maracyn 1 and use that with the maracyn 2. Just as a side note, I have great success with trisulfa in treating fin rot. Good luck to you.

What is trisulfa? Is it available under a different name?

I could only get my hands on some Fungus eliminator by jungle and used that last night. This morning one of the loaches was dead, but it was having other problems with staying on the bottom of the tank (kept floating up), so I dont think he had much of a chance.

The loach that had body rot is still alive, although her back is looking pretty bad. White stuff all over it is gone though, does that mean its clearing up? Is there something I should use to help repair or should I wait a bit?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. Keep using the meds you have and follow the directions closely. Another thing you can try is melafix. Its really good for helping the regrowth of fins. I am not sure if you can use at the same time though with the fungus meds. Here
is the link for the trisulfa.
And Here is a link to the melafix. I hope your loach recovers. Good luck.

Looks like big bertha (female loach with body rot) is on the up and up!

She's moving around a lot more, and it seems like its clearing up on her back. Time for healing! Going to try melefix on friday, as that was when it says I can use the fungus eliminator again. Or can I use melefix whenever?

According to the manufacturer it can be used concurrently with other meds. I add it whenever I am treating for fin damage.

Back
Top Bottom