Too many fish deaths in a month old aquarium..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read through a bit more, and yes mumma was right with the bigger tank. More water is better. I highly doubt it's 'something wrong' with the tank, more so than the 20g. I kind of think they weren't introduced right by the sounds of it. I did a fish in cycle on my 90 gallon, Ammonia and nitrites were steady off the chart for a few weeks, no losses. All I did was 5-10% water changes daily.

Were all the mollies bought from the same place? It's unlikely that they all had mysterious diseases, although possible. Wouldn't be my first assumption though.
By the sounds of all the trouble you're having, just spend a few bucks, and buy water and used/seeded filter media from the store the fish were bought. Only sure fire way for you to know if it's your water or the fish without dissecting them.

That time I didn't put water into the bag to accimate them. I've done it that way before and didn't think this could happen..

I put some more prime in today. Is there anything I can do?

dotswithchemicals said:
That time I didn't put water into the bag to accimate them. I've done it that way before and didn't think this could happen..

I put some more prime in today. Is there anything I can do?

Keep there water as clean as possible, ammonia and nitrite as low as possible with water changes. Their immune systems are most likely low from the high ammonia in the other tank and now the shock of the change of tanks and water conditions.

Hang in there things will get better if you follow the advice given to you here it takes time to get things right. If you keep up your pwc then your fish will have more chance of making it through this

My shark was the first to be happier, although I notice that he's not as happy as he was yet, two of my mollies regained their strangth yesterday and the last one today. Tey are all fed and ammonia is at zero. :)

Although my pregnant molly did die but not because of the ammonia, I think... she was newer so I'm sure she wasn't exactly weak. She was always swimming around. I'm not sure if she gave birth, but she looked a tiny bit skinnier.

I found her swimming at the rocks face first like she was looking for something.. tried to move her and she cared less. Then she moved like everything was alright. And I have noticed that she'd kinda randomly bump into everything, so I'm not sure if she died from an illness or something up with her.

I asked my local pet store and they weren't sure, of course.

dotswithchemicals said:
Although my pregnant molly did die but not because of the ammonia, I think... she was newer so I'm sure she wasn't exactly weak. She was always swimming around. I'm not sure if she gave birth, but she looked a tiny bit skinnier.

I found her swimming at the rocks face first like she was looking for something.. tried to move her and she cared less. Then she moved like everything was alright. And I have noticed that she'd kinda randomly bump into everything, so I'm not sure if she died from an illness or something up with her.

I asked my local pet store and they weren't sure, of course.

That sounds kind of like swim bladder disease.

LyndaB said:
You can't afford to wait at all. Do 2 water changes today, one after the other. Do 3 if you have time.

Test tomorrow a.m. and see what your numbers are then.

I'm always so sorry to see people enter this great hobby dealing with such huge problems. There should be a book they give you when you buy your first tank. :ermm:

Petsmart does have little pamphlet on the end caps. They r free

Back
Top Bottom