Too many fish deaths in a month old aquarium..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And for the cycle, does the ammonia have to get high to complete it? Or can it be completed without the ammonia getting insanely high? I don't want my fish to go through the same as they did in the 20 gallon.

If there is room in your bigger filter to add the cartridge from the smaller one, do it. Or you could run both at once. You want to use liquid tests to test ammonia and nitrites. If either get above .25ppm do a water change.

All my fish are EXTREMELY uncomfortable in this tank and its worrying me a bit. The shark was pretty stressed last night and now my fish are just swimming in the back or staying close to the rocks, except for 1 female.

Is this just because of the new surroundings? I'm also testing my water, but so far all is good.

This is the 20 gallon tank right, with the shark? Are you rehoming it?

What exactly are your readings?

I moved them to the 37 and everything is at zero because its a new tank and with more water being better for them. I stuck the older filter into this 37 with the 20 like someone advised, and since last night they seem uncomfortable.

My testings are at zero for ammonia and nitrite, which I thought would be.

The vial is pretty yellow.. so thats at zero.

I've heard of fish that take a bit to get used to their surroundings.. maybe this is just what it is?

It could just be stress from the change of scenery, hopefully they'll get over it soon. Did you remember to dose the 37 with prime? Keep up the testing and do a 50% change when ammonia or nitrite go over 0.25 :)

Do you have an airstone? Is there plenty if surface agitation? With 2 filters running it should be enough, but if you think they're not getting enough oxygen add an airstone. Hopefully just the new surroundings have them a little stressed.

Yeah, I have an airstone up and running. My red tail shark has gained some color back than earlier, so he must be on his way to getting better.

I'm at school but I'll see how they are when I get back.

when I moved my betta over it took him a couple of days to adjust to the new tank. I thnk it is just change of scenery. give them a couple of days and I bet they will be back to swimming normally

Yeah, I put them in a bag and set them in the water.

I had a guppy get stuck in this filter and now the other one cant swim and looks like he's having a siessure. I don't know if its from the tank or something else has happened...

Now I see my balloon molly cant swim right and something is up with him.

Something is wrong with this tank

Yeah, I put them in a bag and set them in the water. .

How did you actually acclimate them though? Were the tank lights off when doing so? When you say all tests were zero, only ammonia and nitrite should be 0. Which tests do you have? I read on the first page people were telling you to get a test kit, didn't read through everything though.

dotswithchemicals said:
Yeah, I put them in a bag and set them in the water.

I had a guppy get stuck in this filter and now the other one cant swim and looks like he's having a siessure. I don't know if its from the tank or something else has happened...

Did you add any new tank water to the bag to let them get use to it? Floating on the top of the water in a bag gets them use to the water temperature but not the water conditions. It can be a huge shock to them if put from one tank to another without being allowed to become slowly accustomed to the new conditions. What is happening now could be related to the sudden shock on an already weakened fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom