too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon tank with guppies, balloon Mollies, and a platy. I had just got a neon tetra today but after I got home and did a little reading on them I found out that you should keep then in a group of 6+ (something my lfs did not inform me of), if I get more tetras will it overstock my tank? Also will they be ok with my other fish? I guess I should have posted this thread before I bought it but I just kinda acted on impulse. Any help would be appreciated.
Stock includes:
4 female guppies
2 female balloon Mollies
1 female platy
1 neon tetra

butterfly_koi said:
But if they are a schooling fish don't they thrive better being in a large group instead of being on their own?

Yea that's what I was saying, even out the school as in get around 5-7 more

Chronos313 said:
I would say no more then 10-12 they have a small bio load

Thanks! I've been concerned about that, when I first started my tank I knew nothing about overstocking and my lfs sold me 4 fancy tailed goldfish and a small koi said they would be great for my tank. Ha! Big mistake! Needless to say I've re-homed the goldfish and have had guppies since then but am looking for other community fish for my tank

No problem. What all do you have in your tank. Maybe I can throw some ideas your way

If you wanted something colorful try dwarf Praecox rainbows. The males and females are really colorful especially when the male flashes at the females. Let me scavenge my files a bit and I'll message you a stock list :)

Nice tank!!! You should get some corydoras, they help you clean up the bottom of your tank. In my opinion you still got some room for them and they are fun fish.

Ok I would add 5 orange laser corydoras, and 5 Praecox dwarf rainbows. Either all male or all female if you don't want them to lay eggs.

Chronos313 said:
Ok I would add 5 orange laser corydoras, and 5 Praecox dwarf rainbows. Either all male or all female if you don't want them to lay eggs.

I'm not to huge on the corydoras, the rainbows are kinda pretty. I want more colorful fish, (I have a thread explaining why I got into my fish hobby) if you happen to read my story you will understand that the more colorful the fish the better :)

I think if you looked up different corys you might be surprised. Some of them are pretty neat looking. I'm thinking the suggestion to get some corys is because I don't believe I remember you having any bottom dwellers from what I read, so maybe you could find a bristlenose pleco you like if you don't like any of the corys.

smallfry53 said:
I think if you looked up different corys you might be surprised. Some of them are pretty neat looking. I'm thinking the suggestion to get some corys is because I don't believe I remember you having any bottom dwellers from what I read, so maybe you could find a bristlenose pleco you like if you don't like any of the corys.

how big do the bristlenose plecos get? I've always kept a little aquarium salt in my tank won't that harm the plecos?

Bristlenoses get about 6 inches maximum. Color hmmmmmmm now I'm thinking. You could try German or electric blue rams. Let me see what I can find for colorful species

Back
Top Bottom