too many snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopalong_70

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 65 gallon african cichlid tank. When I go to vaccuum the gravel during a water change, I get hundreds if not thousands of really tiny snails coming up into the hose. They are about the size of a ball point pen tip. Is this a bad thing?

i'm guessing that you have pond snails...its not exactly BAD but its more annoying and its good to keep the population down by sucking them out, you can get rid of them also by crushing them

HTH :D

I thought the African Cichlids are supposed to eat them.

I wouldn't recommend crushing them in the tank though. Could spike your amonia level.

Elmware said:
I thought the African Cichlids are supposed to eat them.

Not so much so if the snails are really small and hiding in the gravel....sounds like most of the more mature specimens are being picked-off, though.

If they are hiding in the gravel they are actually good for your substrate, if they aren't causing a problem i wouldn't worry about it. Also, if you don't overfeed your fish, the snails won't get out of control.

I'm thinking they probably are good for the substrate. Ever since they've appeared, I've been having really clean looking water coming up through the gravel vacuum. I think they're eating up all the waste. The only thing wrong from what I can tell is that my nitrates are up too high. Everything else is ok though.

I probably have at least 100 really small snails in a 10 gal tank. My water stays crystal clear with them, before it was cloudy. I am just trying to keep the population in check.

Back
Top Bottom