Too much filtartion / water movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning my African -Malawi- cichlid setup (55ga) and I know where I am going...finally! I just have a few questions...

I have a sponge filter in the corner of my tank (with powerhead) and a Rena xP3 filstar (which is quite powerful - it is recommended for 250-600liters). I am also thinking of putting in an undergravel jet system after reading about them on the cichlid forum and I really like the idea of keeping the sand clean and not having to vacuum it or remove it for washing - this would involve a pump, 3 water 'jets' and an attached sponge filter. My question is this: this is too much filtration, if there is such a thing? or will this create too much water movement for the fish to deal with?

My other question is, after purchasing some ocean rock, I am worried about some of the edges and spikey bits being too sharp (it is not sharp enough to cut or hurt my hand although I think it is quite sharp) and I am worried that may be the fish will cut themselves or scrape off scales on it.

If anyone can help with either question it would be great- thanks

I don't think it would be too much filtration. The jets are used quite often in Cichlid tanks, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you see your fish being pushed around the tank.

Any rock that is sharp, do not add it to the tank. Africans are darting fish and it can cause damage to their sides. My brother had a castle in his tank that had a sharp piece and it pulled the scales off of his Johanni when it rubbed against it. Very gross looking.

I ordered it as ocean rock for my aquarium and I am pretty sure that it is standard stuff but I have never seen it before and I think I am paranoid. It is more rough than sharp.

Thanks for your help.

Can someone explain more about the "jet" filtration system in a cichlid tank?

Undergravel jets are a network of PVC pipes beneath the sand/gravel, with little nozzles sticking just up out of the substrate. They're powered by a powerhead, and they work kind of like jets in a spa. They move the water around, and better, they prevent solid waste from hitting the bottom.

I've seen a couple variations on the system. One just moves the water about. The other points the jets out from the center of the tank, moving the waste towards filters in the corners. I've heard a lot of good things about the second one.

All in all, it's a pretty nifty system.

I've read about normal UGFs been really bad for cichlid tanks because they dig up the substrate. And also not being very good for live tanks...

I'm considering using the jet UGF system (like Gryph said, pointing the jets out from the centre of the tank, moving the waste towards 2 small internal filters in the corners) on my 70gal new Malawi Mbuna tank (not set up yet).

How do you think it'll do?

Back
Top Bottom